Sprint field value REST API

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2013

When trying to get the details of an issue through the REST API the response for the Sprint looks something like this:

• customfield_10007:[
    • "com.atlassian.greenhopper.service.sprint.Sprint@a29f07[rapidViewId=<null>,state=CLOSED,name=NORD - Sprint 42,startDate=2013-07-29T06:47:00.000+02:00,endDate=2013-08-11T20:47:00.000+02:00,completeDate=2013-08-14T15:31:33.157+02:00,id=107]",
    • "com.atlassian.greenhopper.service.sprint.Sprint@769133[rapidViewId=<null>,state=ACTIVE,name=NORD - Sprint 43,startDate=2013-08-14T15:32:47.322+02:00,endDate=2013-08-23T15:32:47.322+02:00,completeDate=<null>,id=117]"
    ],

It looks like toString of the Sprint class which isn't very easy to parse/read with an application. Is their a way to simple get the Sprint Name or id returned through the REST API. It's necessary to be able to retrieve the Sprint value in an internal tool for our QA Team (Spira Test).

On the other side, using toString in the REST API output doesn't seem like a good idea to me ...

Thanks,

Maarten

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stef Klaassen November 17, 2017

I was having the same issue for a small tool I was developing in which I needed the sprint name. Since I was using Jackson to unmarshal my JIRA response, I ended up writing a custom deserializer: 

import com.fasterxml.jackson.core.JsonParser;
import com.fasterxml.jackson.core.JsonProcessingException;
import com.fasterxml.jackson.core.type.TypeReference;
import com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.DeserializationContext;
import com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.JsonDeserializer;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.Collection;
import java.util.HashMap;
import java.util.Map;
import java.util.function.Function;

import static java.util.stream.Collectors.toList;

public class SprintNamesExtractingDeserializer extends JsonDeserializer<Collection> {

private static final String OPEN_ARRAY_CHARACTER = "\\[";
private static final String CLOSE_ARRAY_CHARACTER = "]";
private static final String COMMA = ",";
private static final String EQUALS_SIGN = "=";
private static final String NAME_PROPERTY = "name";

public SprintNamesExtractingDeserializer() {
}

@Override
public Collection deserialize(final JsonParser jsonParser, final DeserializationContext deserializationContext) throws IOException, JsonProcessingException {
TypeReference<Collection<String>> typedCollection = new TypeReference<Collection<String>>() {
};
Collection<String> sprints = jsonParser.readValueAs(typedCollection);
return sprints.stream()
.map(extractSprintName())
.collect(toList());
}

private Function<String, String> extractSprintName() {
return sprintString -> {
String result = sprintString.split(OPEN_ARRAY_CHARACTER, 2)[1];
Map<String, String> sprintProperties = extractSprintProperties(result);

return sprintProperties.getOrDefault(NAME_PROPERTY, null);
};
}

private Map<String, String> extractSprintProperties(String result) {
int lastArrayClosure = result.lastIndexOf(CLOSE_ARRAY_CHARACTER);
result = result.substring(0, lastArrayClosure);
String[] propertiesArray = result.split(COMMA);
HashMap<String, String> properties = new HashMap<>();
for (String property: propertiesArray) {
String[] keyValueArray = property.split(EQUALS_SIGN);
if (keyValueArray.length == 1) {
properties.put(keyValueArray[0], null);
} else if (keyValueArray.length == 2) {
properties.put(keyValueArray[0], keyValueArray[1]);
}
// Else it's not a valid property
}
return properties;
}

}

Which can be used as: 

@JsonProperty("customfield_10400")
@JsonDeserialize(using = SprintNamesExtractingDeserializer.class, as=Collection.class)
public abstract Collection<String> getSprintNames();

I'm not particularly proud of this solution, but it does the trick. 

avilde June 22, 2018

@Stef Klaassen, thank you! I used your method extractSprintProperties to get readable data from sprint string retrieved from the field.

No idea why would API return JSONArray with no way to cleanly cast it to array of sprints. I also need to get the state out of sprint and mark active one.

Szymon Tomasz Nowak May 26, 2020

@Stef KlaassenI know its an old topic, but your answer is very similar to my solution, and I have a follow-up question: how do you deal with sprint names with '=' or ',' characters, or even (theoretically) something like 'name=sprint=great' or 'name=,name=test,name=123'? Do you just assume that no one will do that, or do you accept it as a risk?

Stef Klaassen June 18, 2020

I've never encountered that issue, but it's a valid remark. There's probably lots of ways to improve this piece of ugly code to something more robust. :-) 

3 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2013

No Answer has been found :-(

Sudhanshu Bhandari March 15, 2018

Can you please give me the rest call url to fetch the data which you have found havent even have that url to fetch that data for me . thanks!

1 vote
Pysis August 10, 2018

Haven't found a great way, but this works pretty well.  Using that Java class seems like it would match best, but honestly we shouldn't have to do this sort of parsing for a JSON REST API.

You can pipe that field through the `jq` utility this way to turn that rubbish Java serialization into desired JSON:

match("[\\\\w.]+?@\\\\w+?\\\\[(.*?)\\\\]").captures[0].string | split(",") | map(split("=") | {"key": .[0], "value": .[1]}) | from_entries

1 vote
Dragica Soldo December 18, 2013

Any idea of one jar containing the mentioned class com.atlassian.greenhopper.service.sprint.Sprint
I assume the response can be parsed something like the following:

Field field = issue.getFieldByName("Sprint");
JSONArray fieldValue = (JSONArray) field.getValue();
com.atlassian.greenhopper.service.sprint.Sprint sprint = (Sprint) fieldValue.get(0);

I just can't find the particular class/jar.

Dragica Soldo December 18, 2013

Found it, but it looks too big to include, I think I'll go with parsing it as a String.

Jar info can be found at https://www.versioneye.com/java/com.atlassian.jira.plugins:jira-greenhopper-plugin/6.2

0 votes
J L March 5, 2021

For JIRA Cloud the string representation has been removed since 1st Sept. 2020: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/deprecation-notice-tostring-representation-of-sprints-in-get-issue-response/

For Jira SERVER the default behaviour was not changed.

But as a workaround, use the "&expand=versionedRepresentations" parameter instead, find the newest representation and just use the data with the known json representation (key : value structure).

Beware that the json "fields" parent property is replaced by "versionedRepresentations".

See the API doc for "Get issue": https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/8.5.5/#api/2/issue-getIssue

Don't do a parsing of the string representation as this might be removed for JIRA Server as well in the future and it will break your clients.

0 votes
Stef Klaassen November 17, 2017

[ignore]Double-post because of spam filter not letting through my code example.[/ignore] 

0 votes
Adrisson Floriano November 9, 2017

Up?

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2013

It's not hard to parse that. The toString returns a JSON representation of that object. You just need to convert that String into a JSON object.

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2013

It's far from JSON ...

JSON would be something like this:

{
	rapidViewId: 1,
	state: "Closed",
	name: "NORD - Sprint 42",
}

Like Aakash Chauhan likes this

Suggest an answer