Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks

Rene Rath June 25, 2013

i there,

in our company we are currently running Jira 5.2.7 with Greenhopper 6.2.3. Obviously local installation, not OnDemand. Works like a charm. In pretty much every sprint, we have a couple of stories with incomplete subtasks. Was never a problem, those stories went back into the backlog when the sprint was marked completed and the contained subtasks kept their status.

Now we want to upgrade Jira to 6.0.2 - Greenhopper will remain at 6.2.3. We've cloned our live installation in order to test before we actually perform the upgrade of jira - and now I get a problem with one single story:

When I try to close a sprint, I get the message "Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues: SPON-1206" - and the sprint is not closed.

Here's a screenshot for explanation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98030668@N05/9140147259/

As you see, there are 2 pretty similar stories: SPON-962 and SPON-1206 both are User Stories, both with just one sub-task, both sub-tasks are resolved, but not closed. However, Jira only nags about SPON-1206 and not SPON-962. When I close the Sub-Task SPON-1665, I seem to be able to close the sprint (haven't actually confirmed the "close sprint" dialogue, in order to keep this bug reproducable).

Whatever I found out so far regarding this error message, all pointed towards the use of some custom workflow. I doubt this is the underlying problem, because then Jira should not only nag about SPON-1206, but also SPON-962 (and many others - I just mentioned these 2 to keep the bug description simple).

Grateful for any kind of help!

rene

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rene Rath June 27, 2013

Found the solution myself!

Story SPON-1206 was closed, but it's sub-task SPON-1665 was only resolved. Seemingly, Jira 6.0.2 does not allow to close the sprint under these circumsances. When I reopen SPON-1206 (leaving SPON-1665 in status "resolved"), Jira lets me close the sprint.

A JQL query "Give me all non-closed sub-tasks, which belong to a closed story" seems not to be available out of the box: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/184159/complex-jql-query

AndreasK October 6, 2013

Saved my day!

Suggest an answer