Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks with custom Done-Category status and custom Resolution

Klaus UNGER March 11, 2016

Good Morning,

I've currently problems in completing a sprint, due to the 'famous' "Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues" message.

• We do have a custom status in the Done-Category, which is called Obsolete.
  • We do have a custom resolution, which is called Won't Do.

All subtasks of the issues in our sprint have a Done-Category status (Done or Obsolete)
and all subtasks of the issues in our sprint have a resolution (Done or Won't Do)

I don't understand why this is happening.

I've for testing purposes transitioned one subtasks (after marking it with a label) from Obsolete -> Done
and it's parent Story is not showing up in the list on a close spring attempt. So it definitely has something to do with the custom status/resolution.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help in advance!

7 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

13 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2016

Is "Obsolete" in the "done" column on the board?

Klaus UNGER March 12, 2016

well spotted ... thanks for the super-fast response 
have a nice weekend though

K:) 

Like # people like this
James Brown August 10, 2017

I am having a similar issue.  I have two "Category - Done" statuses (Done and Rejected) and both are in the far right column. If an issue is in the Rejected Status and the sprint is completed it automatically moves them to the next sprint. Being that the issue was rejected(Done) in that sprint, why does it not stay with that sprint? Is this a user setting or default setting. Can it be changed?

Alex Zaytsev November 28, 2017

How do you make that status go into that column?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2017

Go to the board, hit board-config and go to "columns", where you can map status to columns

Like # people like this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2017

I mean if you have  a sub-task which is Obsolete, still the user is forced to move it to done column. For lot of teams this is highly unintuitive as when you move an issue to "DONE" column then you see two areas to drop the issues (complete or obsolete) and it's hard to convince SM/POs that even if the issue is obsolete still it should be moved to *Done* (which implies work done) in order to close the sprint (in case it's a  obsolete sub-task of a done story)

I hope Atlassian implements this feature request soon - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12169

4 votes
Gabriel Radic August 6, 2018

I had a quirky situation where Jira would report that "Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks …" while all the issues and their subtasks were actually closed, with proper states and resolutions set. 

This was because a closed status called "Trash" was hidden, i.e. it was no assigned to any column on the board. As soon as I added it to a column, Jira stopped complaining. 

Maria Szydłowska January 16, 2019

You saved me in this unintuitive jira world - I had the same problem and I solved it using your idea!

Thank you!

AKBAR March 2, 2020

!

Like Sebastian Penhouet likes this
Wupadrasta Subbarao March 9, 2021

Really helpful. Thank you for your time and sharing your thoughts!!

1 vote
cptdkirk November 14, 2019

I have the exact issue as @Sebi Nievas .  Very frustrating.  Atlassian please fix this immediately or provide a workaround!

Elijah Bernstein-Cooper December 3, 2019

Same for me as well. This behavior needs to change considering we have a sub task status that is not appropriate for a swim lane in our board: "rejected"

Carmen Sam June 21, 2020

My way of solving this is to mark all the subtasks that have been moved to the new sprint as done first (since it is causing the problem), then I will be able to close the previous sprint. Then only I change the status of the subtasks in the new sprint from done to its respective status.

1 vote
Sebi Nievas September 13, 2019

I'm having a different situation. I moved a task that has subtasks from one sprint into the next, but I can't close the original one until the subtasks are marked complete on the issue I moved to a completely different sprint anyway. HALP

Zans McLachlan January 9, 2020

You may have a condition in the workflow for the parent task that disallows completing it until all subtasks are Done. Check the Transition for this.

0 votes
Dario Andres Palminio Choy March 9, 2021

I had the same problem, when I try to complete a sprint with one story completed with all its subtasks completed and is showed same message: "Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues".

2021-03-09-23-00-example-01.png

I observed that Jira only allows a sprint to be completed on a board that has configured all the "completed" states of all the items (issue type) that exist into the Sprint in its green column (Done). The problem is that the 'Done' status of the task is not configured in the green column.

2021-03-09-23-01-Example-02.png

For example, if we have stories with status "Accepted" (green color, Accepted & Done column), "Deployment" (green color, Accepted & Done column) and "In Production" (green color, Accepted & Done column); and tasks with status "Done", we must have a board that integrates both issues Types and a green column (green color, Accepted & Done column) with the "Accepted", "Deployment", "In Production" and "Done" states into green column. 

If you integrate all the issue types and all the states in a board (or new board), then the problem is solved in that board; 

2021-03-09-23-02-example-03.png

and now you can to complete sprint...

2021-03-09-23-03-example-04.png

without problem.

2021-03-09-23-04-example-05.png

0 votes
Saleha Jaweid June 4, 2020

So I have a bizarre scenario. I recently joined a new team and converted them onto JIRA. However I joined sort of during a sprint and by the time everything in JIRA was set up most of the work was done but the team didn't moved to JIRA until the second sprint began. Since we didn't set up the first sprint on time, and I added the issues to the sprint retroactively (for tracking) even though the time on the sprint is done and all issues and subtasks are in done status and the statuses are mapped to the correct column, JIRA still won't recognize the issues as done! It's super frustrating because I need those issues gone from the backlog view :( ... any suggestions? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2020

Best you can do is a dummy sprint (ideally between ending the current sprint and starting the next one).  It'll make the velocity look odd, but close everything off.

The other option is to have a very funny looking sprint which includes all the closed ones.

Saleha Jaweid June 9, 2020

Yea so the issue was that I had a column to the right most that was messing up JIRA's 'done' recognition for the stories :) ... making done the right most column solved it. And of your recommendations I ended up going with the second one! 

0 votes
Brook Warner June 18, 2019

I have this same issue and have tried all of the suggestions listed. Both the story and the subtasks are in the far right column, there are no hidden statuses, and all stories and sub-tasks have a resolution set.

Brook Warner June 18, 2019

I figured it out. It turned out the ‘master’ project where I am centrally managing the start and end of the sprint for our whole company didn’t include one, so it wasn’t able to map the right statuses as “done”. 

Saleha Jaweid June 4, 2020

Wait I don't follow ... could you please give more details @Brook Warner 

Cary Jones August 7, 2020

Yes, it would be great to get more information on this. I am having the same problem, but not understanding how you solved your issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2020

They were missing a status mapping into a column, if I read it right.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question