Sprint Burndown Gadget - how are issues identified as burned down?

Alan Strange February 5, 2021

Hi,

Recently started using Jira and the Sprint Burndown Gadget.

Can someone tell me what the criteria is for having an issue marked as "burned down" and therefore the Story Points are removed from the burndown graph.

I had assumed it had to be moved to DONE and/or marked as Resolved.

However, recently a bug which has never been in any of those states has been marked as Burned Down.  Only slightly unusual thing is that it is in the REOPENED state - don't know if that has anything to so with it.

Thanks.

Alan.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2021

Hi @Alan Strange and welcome to the community!

You're right with your assumption that only work that has been done/finished is recognized as burned down (Quoting the docs: "Similarly, an issue is considered to be 'Done' when it is in a status that has been mapped to the right-most column of your board"). So maybe you have a closer look at the issue history? Are you sure it never was resolved? Even the table underneath the graph in the report will give you a timestamp of when the issue was burned down.

Best, Max 

Hi - thanks for the reply.  Yes, checking back in the history, it has never been moved to DONE...only DEV -> REVIEW -> QA -> REOPENED.    

I can see the timestamp of exact time of the burndown and that only seems to map to relate to when it was changed status.  The board does not actually have a column for REOPENED at the moment, so it doesn't show as on the "right-most column"..in fact it doesn't show at all on the board....but picky I know, but just being clear so you know exactly what I see.  

I'll have another look at it and see if I can track down what is going on....does seem a bit weird though.

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2021

It's based on the issues being "done".  In Jira board terms, that means "is in the last/rightmost column on the board".  In issue data terms, that is "has a status mapped into the last column on the board"

Hi Nic - thanks for your reply.  You can probably see most of my update in the response to Max.  I'll have a another look through and see what happened with it.  Definitely doesn't seem to have moved to DONE at all......at least it doesn't show it as ever having been DONE in the history log.

If it was moved to DONE.....and therefore classed as being burned down......and then it was moved back to DEV, does it get added back into the burndown, if you know what I mean?

Thanks again.

Alan.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2021

It will only be burned down during the sprint when it is in the "done" column, if you move it out, it is re-opened and hence not burned down on any more.

After the sprint has ended though, changing its status will not affect the burndown on that sprint.  Jira has moved on to a new sprint.

Suggest an answer