Sprint Backlog Customers Stories or Issues

Julia Kvas February 1, 2020

Hello, i would have a question when planning my Sprint Backlog.

I want to fill up my backlog and i want to add stories and tasks. However I am a little bit lost without the structure which tasks belong to which stories.

When creating a new issue, i can choose if i want a story or task. I can link them to an epic. But i cannot link a task to a story. So how do i know which tasks belong to which story?

This is important when dragging them into the current sprint planning - e.g. if i drag a story i would like all respective tasks also in the sprint plan.

Any ideas on this or am I approaching this topic wrong?

THANKS JULIA

1 answer

0 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2020

@Julia Kvas 

You can make an Epic as parent to Story, Task or any other standard issue types.

If you want to link tasks to story, you'll have to use Issue linking option.

Julia Kvas February 2, 2020

Thanks for your feedback , however linking for me seems like that they are very much depended on each other or for example blocking each other - like dependencies. Or should i just use "relate to" so they are clustered? 

and would you then need to drop the story and the issue in the sprint or only the story and the "related" issues are taken over automatically? 

Thanks for your help

Like # people like this
Julia Kvas February 3, 2020

If you have further input i would be happy! Thanks 

Like # people like this
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2020

Hi @Julia Kvas 

It doesn't matter what what issue link type you use. It's just a way of showing the dependencies. When you open a Story in full view mode, it'll list all the linked issues t it.

You will still have to add the story and the linked issues/tasks to the sprint or the backlog. It'll not pull the linked issues/tasks automatically when you add only the Story.

Like mohithb likes this

Suggest an answer