Splitting users in to groups for issue assignment purposes

Neil Gordon December 4, 2015

Good Afternoon

I am in the process of configuring JIRA for my organisation (I have used it before as a user at a previous employer).

Lets say I have 5 teams of 10 per team.

When someone logs an issue and selects an assignee JIRA would show a list of 50 people, how do I configure JIRA so that it shows 5 teams (user groups) and then once the team is selected you then select one of the 10 users in that group?

Any help would be greatly received, thank you.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2015

There's really no way to do this with the assignee field and you can't customize JIRA in the cloud. Your best bet is to create a new field called Team and the 'someone' selects a team. Then the next step for the person who knows who's on who's team can assign the issue.

There's no way to create an assignee/cascading select field with teams like you're requesting unless you want to manage it entirely manually. 

2 votes
Dennis Poort December 4, 2015

To be curious, why would this be your desired approach? Is it because every team can work on each project, but the person assigning does not know who is in what team?

If not every person is working on the project, maybe limit project access to certain user-groups so they don't show up at all? Or if they can have access but can't be assignable, in the permission scheme setup specific group as "Assignable User"?

1 vote
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2015

You can get close to what you're describing by having 5 different Components, each would have a component Lead. While an issue is being created, the Reporter can choose among the 5 registered Components and the issue would be assigned to the proper lead of that Component. 

I know of no way to filter a list of users like you're saying without hard coding the choices into a drop-down list or something. 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2015

I usually use Component/s as my Team field but it's a major frustration of mine that it can't be single-select. Either I must validate the input on the workflow or I need to create my own custom field of single-select variety.

0 votes
Neil Gordon December 6, 2015

Thank you 

Suggest an answer