Splitting JIRA Instance - can you use two seperate schemas in an Oracle database

Michael England May 7, 2012

Hi,

When you split a JIRA instance that uses an Oracle database, is it possible to split the main schema so that there are then two schemas in the same Oracle instance (one for each JIRA instance to use)?

The documentation found here: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Splitting+a+JIRA+instance

states "Do not connect the two JIRA instances to the same external database instance."

Please could someone confirm whether it is ok to use multiple schemas for multiple JIRA instances in the same Oracle database?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

Yes, you can create different schema in oracle instance. If you follow the directions from Atlassian, when you run "Create user", it is essentially creating a separate schema. And when you configure the database for each JIRA instance, the username/password is the schema name + password.

And yes, it is possible b/c I have multiple schema running in our MYSQL databases that points to different JIRA test environments.

Hope this helps!

Michael England May 7, 2012

Thanks Eva. That sounds logical. Do you know if Atlassian suggest using another seperate Oracle tablespace for the new split instance? I know that different schemas can own different objects in the same Oracle tablespace, so using the same tablespace should be fine. However, I would be tempted to use a seperate tablespace just to keep the data truely seperate.

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

I usually set different tablespace so I know which instance has problem with issue. You could share, but I dont think I would recommend it. This also depend on how much space you have on DB side, if you dont hav that much space, then sharing ts would be a better option.

Suggest an answer