Split up time spent evenly over number of checked options

Tom Van Damme June 8, 2017

Hello,

I've added a checkbox custom field "billable" to assign the time spent to a certain option (customer). Sometimes an assignee will check more than 1 option when Time Spent needs to be evenly distributed over two or more customers.

When we export the data (using Time keeping tool) at the end of the month we can only get the total amount of Time Spent for each issue, and all checked options in a single cell (separated with commas).

Is there a way to split up the time spent over the amount of checked options in the custom field?

In a ideal world every checked option in the "billable" field would have its own line in the spreadsheet export, containing an even amount of time spent for each line. But I'll settle for any solution that allows me to split up the total amount of time :)

Thank you for your thoughts,

Tom

3 answers

0 votes
Tom Van Damme June 12, 2017

Thanks for the feedback!

True,  the generic JIRA Timesheet report doesn't do much good :)
We use the "Time Reports and Gadgets for JIRA Cloud" add-on instead.

There doesn't seem to be a setting in the add-on that lets me split up time per chosen option in a custom field. So I just wondered if maybe we could use a different type of custom field to adjust the data in the excel export. 

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2017

Create a calculated field for the Better Excel Plugin, that divides the timeSpent field's value among the customers. It does not look very difficult if you really need to just div it evenly.

Then create a custom template that utilizes this field.

For inspiration, see these examples.

jira-cross-project-worklog-report-components-pivot-chart

0 votes
Eva Kasiak June 8, 2017

Hi Tom, 

I think that the generic JIRA Timesheet report is not too adjustable, so there is not much room to change scope of the data exported. 

However if you have actually added custom field, why not use some JQL query in order to get the list or table with the time spent values and then export this JQL report to xls? This seem to me as a good option, the other more sophisticated is to use Tempo for much more detail tracking and reporting against time. 

Suggest an answer