Split JIRA server

Mosh March 16, 2016

We consider to split our JIRA server since we have many issues inside (more than 15000) and we feel it responds slowly over the last month.

It makes me ask a few questions. You'll see I'm trying to find out the best practices... Thanks!

Does it make sense to split a server?
Do you know shops that have splitted out JIRA servers for load balancing?
Should we split it by projects? (i.e. A & B projects are on A server, while C & D projects are on B server)
Does it make sense to split it to more than 2 servers? even 3 or 4 servers? Are there any rules of thumbs?
Do you know shops who maintain 5 servers or more? I'm trying to find out how we should scale with JIRA.

Thanks

P.S. We use JIRA v6.4

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2016

>Does it make sense to split a server?

It can do, but 15,000 is very small data set.  You will probably be better off doing a bit of performance analysis

>Do you know shops that have splitted out JIRA servers for load balancing?

You can't do that, unless you go to JIRA Data Centre, and that's actually a case for merging, not splitting.

>Should we split it by projects? (i.e. A & B projects are on A server, while C & D projects are on B server)

That is by far the easiest way to do a split

>Does it make sense to split it to more than 2 servers? even 3 or 4 servers? Are there any rules of thumbs?

It depends on the business requirements and the hardware you have really.

>Do you know shops who maintain 5 servers or more? I'm trying to find out how we should scale with JIRA.

Yes.  My pre-Adaptavist employer had nearly 50 last time I was there.  48 of them were relatively small (<100 users), but the main one was 20,000 users.

1 vote
Itamar Ben Sinai March 16, 2016

Hi

15000 issues is not a lot, so start with checking the performance issue -  check your hardware. Slow disks on JIRA instance or DB instance may be the issue.

Splitting by project, is the easiest, as it is not requiring data sync.

Load balancing is not built in, so you'll have to find a 3rd party solution.

Hope that helps

Suggest an answer