Specifying indexing path if switching databases (Jira)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

Hi All

I just tried to switch our jira instance from one database to another Database on another server.

When I had configured the other Db for the first time I had specified a new index path for it.

Now my question is, whenever i switch databases by flipping the IP on my server.xml (I am on 4.1) how do i specify my index path.

Is the index path stored on database itself?

I tried flipping the db today and it did not ask me for the index path and i am worried that the system should not be using the same index path for both the databases

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2013

The index path is held in the database - once it's in there, Jira will try to use it.

I suspect when you configured the "other" db for a new Jira, you didn't have any data in there, so it asked for a new one.

It should happily use the same path for each database, but you MUST think through the indexing - if the databases are not completely identical, then you need to re-index Jira each time you switch between them.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

Thanks Nic for your response.

Rahul

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

Hi Nic

When I switch I see that the default index directory when I click the re-index button is still the one I configured for my first instance. Although i can manually amend it to use the custom index directory I wanted to get the 2nd instance index path to show up as default directory when i flip the server.xml configs. how can i acheive that?

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2013

You'll have to poke it into the database before starting the second Jira.

Out of curiosity, may I ask why you're doing this?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

Hi Nic...

I am trying to use Mysql and postgresql hosted on two different servers to compare performance of these 4 combinations

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2013

Ah, ok, duplicating for test reasons. For this, I wouldn't be too worried about it - you need to set it before you start any testing, so I'd simply do it in the UI as a one-off. Another trick would be to create a symbolic link on the test server that points from <live index setting> to <where you want it on the test server>, then you wouldn't need to change anything at all.

Suggest an answer