Specifying an issue resolution transition condition?

Alister Cordiner April 2, 2014

I have created a Jira transition called "Abandon Issue". I would like this transition to be used for closing issues with any resolution other than "Fixed". I have added the following transition condition:

The field Resolution will have to be not equal to value 'Fixed'. Compared as String.

However, it's not working. When I click the "Abandon Issue" button, I can choose "Fixed" in the issue resolution screen and the issue transitions to "Closed" without any error messages. What am I doing wrong?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alister Cordiner April 2, 2014

It turns out what I was looking for was a transition validator rather than transition condition. I just had to install the Script Runner add-on and then create a script validator like this:

issue.resolution?.name != 'Fixed

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2014

Yes, a Condition stops you executing the transition, and works off current data before the transition starts. So it always passed your code because the current resolution was null.

Another option would be to not ask the user for a resolution - instead, use a post-function to set it to "abandoned" or whatever the most appropriate resolution is.

Suggest an answer