Specify JIRA subtask ID

I'd like to specify (part of) the subtask ID. Using JIRA for bug tracking and sometimes a bug must be fixed on multiple branches. I'd like to use subtasks to specify the different branches. Unfortunately, our developers can get confused by different issue IDs so I'd like have subtasks inherit the parents' ID. Something like parent ID is 5000, subtask 1 is 5000.1, subtask 2 is 5000.2.

Is there a way to achieve this?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

No. Sorry.

Jira issue keys are generated sequentially within the project. You can't change it without a massive rewrite of core code.

A number of sites I know of have assorted work-arounds. One I coded was a simple derived field that displays the parent and child numbers together (it's aimed mainly at sort on the navigator). I've also seen auto-sequencing done, but that felt a little clunky to me. All the solutions I've seen are separate from the key as Jira sees it though.

That's unfortunate. I noticed JIRA filters often display the parent ID before the subtask ID which helps the context, but for a developer that's doing a smart commit that context won't exist on the CLI. Thanks anyway, though.

Same issue. Trying to organize Project Portfolio Office. I think PPO functionality would be a great improvement for JIRA.

This is exactly what I'd like to do.  Our issues tend to represent scrum sprints or epics within a project more than individual issues such as bugs or service requests.  This is not always the case but it's pretty common.   The problem with creating a sub-task at the same numbering tier is that things get cluttered easily.  In my opinion,  there needs to be a new structured tier under an issue to handle this scenario.  This is what I expected from sub-task,  not a linked peer issue but a lower level task.

Right now I using keywords like STATUS: at the top of comments for these which is a kludge.

yes please.  seems like a basic way of structuring sub tasks but kind of annoying that in my "Open Issue" list when I sort I might get new sub tasks listed in between primary tasks.  I have a filter for main tasks that helps.

Same answer - it's not going to happen.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

671 views 3 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you