Specified tabular data required for SQL DB synchronisation

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2012

Hi,

We have JIRA and Confluence both on a Production(LIVE) server as well as on a Development(QA) server.

Obviously we test most things on the Development(QA) server before we send it to Production(LIVE).

However we would like to keep the data on both synchronised, excluding certain information - such as basic/advance configuration data and user installed plugins.

From an understanding JIRA and Confluence stores and receives data form a database with a tabular structure,

So we were hoping you would help to assist us in listings these tables so we can run a SQL query and try sync the data between Production and development.

I hope I am making myself clear and that you will have an understanding of what exactly my requirement is.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2012

That's asking for trouble. The data in Jira is quite complex, and to preserve some settings without affecting other is not as simple as replicating some tables and not others - you need specific lines from tables and you need to know what they do, how they interact and which ones to drop/keep/update

If you insist on doing this, then you'll need to analyse which config tables hold the data you want to preserve and work out a merge routine for them.

Frankly, I'd drop the whole lot and just work from a copy of live, started with the "don't send/receive emails or trackbacks" flags set. That way, your "rebuild data" process is "stop test, replace database with copy of live, start test, reindex"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2012

Oh, yes, and even if you do a partial replication, you are still going to need to stop the test system while it runs, then restart it and reindex afterwards.

Suggest an answer