Specific ticket type presenting a form

Victor October 14, 2016

I have a project in mind to automate a manual process. Essentially what I need is the following:

1. A ticket will be presenting a form to the user. The accepted values for each control of the form is dynamic, extracted from database.
  2. The user enters the data and saves the changes on the ticket.
  3. When the user checks the ticket in the corresponding webpage, the ticket will show additional information which will be calculated based upon the data contained in the ticket and some other data found in a database. The needed calculations are not expected to be hard.
  4. A report should be able to be extracted from the ticket. This report will contain the calculated fields from the ticket.

My main question is: how can I do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2016

1 and 2 are pretty much what JIRA does, you've basically described a JIRA issue which has a select list custom field.

3 I would do with the Script Runner - calculated fields are easy with that, although you might have "fun" with the "some other data" if it's in a non-JIRA database.  If you don't use Script Runner, you can easily code the fields as their own add-on.

4 I'd write add-ons to provide reports, gadgets and displays to do this

Victor October 17, 2016

So the most tricky part is the one about using data from another database (not in JIRA). Which approach would you recommend on that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2016

I'd try the database values add-ons from the marketplace - I'm aware of two off the top of my head, and although I've not used them recently, they were both good when I did.

0 votes
Victor October 14, 2016

I have been playing around with JIRA plugins, but tutorials stop working at some point. I found here that the tutorials are out of date and redirected me to  Atlassian Spring Scanner. There, the link to the manual is broken but anyway I tried the example and ... well, it didn't work.

Which do you think would be the better approach to my original problem?

Suggest an answer