Specific ticket type presenting a form

I have a project in mind to automate a manual process. Essentially what I need is the following:

1. A ticket will be presenting a form to the user. The accepted values for each control of the form is dynamic, extracted from database.
  2. The user enters the data and saves the changes on the ticket.
  3. When the user checks the ticket in the corresponding webpage, the ticket will show additional information which will be calculated based upon the data contained in the ticket and some other data found in a database. The needed calculations are not expected to be hard.
  4. A report should be able to be extracted from the ticket. This report will contain the calculated fields from the ticket.

My main question is: how can I do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 votes

1 and 2 are pretty much what JIRA does, you've basically described a JIRA issue which has a select list custom field.

3 I would do with the Script Runner - calculated fields are easy with that, although you might have "fun" with the "some other data" if it's in a non-JIRA database.  If you don't use Script Runner, you can easily code the fields as their own add-on.

4 I'd write add-ons to provide reports, gadgets and displays to do this

So the most tricky part is the one about using data from another database (not in JIRA). Which approach would you recommend on that?

I'd try the database values add-ons from the marketplace - I'm aware of two off the top of my head, and although I've not used them recently, they were both good when I did.

I have been playing around with JIRA plugins, but tutorials stop working at some point. I found here that the tutorials are out of date and redirected me to  Atlassian Spring Scanner. There, the link to the manual is broken but anyway I tried the example and ... well, it didn't work.

Which do you think would be the better approach to my original problem?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,003 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot