SourceCode in Jira

Isabel Lachin November 30, 2012

What source control can I use with Jira? I am open to anything. I just need to check in sourcecode into Jira.

I keep reading about Git, Bitbucket, etc but not sure which one is the simplest format I can use.

Also, when integrating, is it possible to see a "Source Code" tab on top so it's easy to navigate to my code?

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2012

You can't "check source code into Jira". Jira is an issue tracking system.

You need a source control system. Git, Subversion, Mercurial, Perforce, Clearcase (ugh), CVS, and others. All have advantages and disadvantages.

It's not an easy choice to make, and we can't help you without knowing what you need from your source control.

Although, you probably want to use Git, unless you have users who aren't hardcore developers. (I'm not going to get into any Subversion vs Git flame war here - both have strengths over the other, let's leave it there)

Bitbucket is a different matter - it packages up Git OR Mercurial with some other functionality, provided by an integrated Jira/Confluence etc.

Assuming you don't use an integrated service, you can then connect your source control (some of them, anyway) to Jira so Jira can display information from it. A simple example - there's a plugin for Jira that integrates it with Subversion. If a user submits code to Subversion and puts a Jira issue number in the commit message, then Jira will display the submission details on the issue.

So, I think you need to decide on what you actually want, in more detail. Unless you're already using something - you haven't told us what you're doing at the moment.

Isabel Lachin December 2, 2012

Thanks. That's exactly my question. I am not sure which tool to use. WE just need some tool that will allow us to check in our code and view the souce via Jira. Which one is the simplest we can use? I dont know what changed with Jira recently but we had a good Subversion that was display "Source Control" menu as soon as we logged into Jira, but that's gone now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2012

I can't answer that for you - you'll need to work out which is the most appropriate for your needs. I can't even tell you what the "simplest" one is (other than it's not Git or Clearcase), because I don't know how you're measuring simplicity. Easiest to install for example - CVS. Total pain to use or maintain, but easy to install.

I can't tell you "what changed in Jira" because you still haven't told us what you are actually using, or what you've done to it.

Isabel Lachin December 3, 2012

I am not using anything right now. I am simply just using Jira. I am trying to integrate *any* source control. I am asking what is easier to use so it will give me a menu called "Source Control" when I log into Jira. I have not used anything. I played with Git, but not able to integrate it well. Just any simple plain source control will do. Should I install Subversion?

0 votes
Alicia Pena December 12, 2012

SVN was simple freeware source control that we've used with jira. Jira has plugins you can install and configure so that submissions made in svn and associated with a jira ticket will be displayed under the source and comments tabs of the jira ticket. Jira can also be used with fisheye/crucible for agile and code reviews. SVN and Jira can also be linked to jenkins (freeware) for automated continuous integration builds. There are jenkins plugins to show change sets between builds and post build numbers back to jira tickets. Bamboo does this too but it's not free.

We recently changed from using free SVN to Perforce, (we had to purchase licenses for, but we moved to perforce mainly for ease of stream usage). Perforce has a p4dtg plugin you can install along with the perforce plugin on the jira side to sync perforce jobs with jira issues and post submit comments on jira tickets. There are jenkins perforce plugins too that will do everything that I mentioned above.

CVS is also freeware, but it's older and in my opinion not as good as SVN.

I hope that helps. I suggest that you research different source control options and ask your developers their opinions of which features they would like to have before you decide on one.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2012

Um, CVS and Subversion are not "freeware", they are open source. There are significant differences in legal terms (although the monetary costs are the same).

I completely agree with you about Subversion's advantages over CVS, and from what I've read, Subversion was written mostly to deal with weaknesses in CVS (I've a personal preference for Perforce over Subversion as well, assuming you aren't going to jump to a DVCS like Git, which is a different ball game again). All three can be integrated with Jira quite easily, but I'm afraid the questioner needs to decide what they actually want before we can help them much.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2012

I am not using anything right now. I am simply just using Jira.

That's a complete contradiction. I understand you're not using source control, but you keep not telling us what Jira you are using - version? Locally installed? OnDemand? Another hosted version? It's no good telling us "my Jira has changed" without telling us what your Jira actually IS. We certainly can't help you integrate an unknown system with something you haven't decided on yet!

"Simple plain source control" - that's almost all of them. Define what you mean by "simple"? For the users? To install? To integrate (with Jira)? For power users?

Isabel Lachin December 3, 2012

Jira version I found is: 6.0-OD-01 Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5.028stab101.1

I have no idea what OnDemand is?

Simple plain source control -> meaning you can check in code/ check out code and see your source code inside Jira. A tab called "Source Control" would be a simple menu option to take me to my source code.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2012

Right, you are using OnDemand. You should read through http://www.atlassian.com/software/ondemand/overview to get an idea of what that does.

"Simple plain source control" - again, you don't seem to be getting it - it's no good saying "I want check in and check out", you need to decide which system works best for you. They ALL do source control, or "check in and check out", that's what they are for. You do keep mentioning integration in Jira, and now you've finally told us that you're using OnDemand, those two facts do cut down the options because OnDemand only supports some types of source control.

It's probably going to be a lot easier if you read the docs on that as well - start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Usage+FAQ and https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Getting+started+with+OnDemand

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2012

I am not using anything right now. I am simply just using Jira.

That's a complete contradiction. I understand you're not using source control, but you keep not telling us what Jira you are using - version? Locally installed? OnDemand? Another hosted version? It's no good telling us "my Jira has changed" without telling us what your Jira actually IS. We certainly can't help you integrate an unknown system with something you haven't decided on yet!

"Simple plain source control" - that's almost all of them. Define what you mean by "simple"? For the users? To install? To integrate (with Jira)? For power users?

Suggest an answer