Sorted JQL Filter for epics and member issues

Svein Seldal December 13, 2013

I'd like to create a filter for showing a list of all open Epics with it's issues listed immediately below it. How can I do that?

Creating a JQL filter which displays the epics and its member issues is fairly easy:

"project = SP AND (issuetype = Epic OR "Epic Link" is not EMPTY)"

However, I want to order the search result where the issues belonging to the same epic is grouped together. The problem is that the epic uses the field "Epic name", while the issues use "Epic link" so ordering is difficult. Can I join these two fields into one and put an order on the joined column like you can in SQL?

7 answers

1 vote
BenJoaquin Gouverneur September 5, 2017

Looking for a way to do this too. In SQL this would be possible with something like:

ORDER BY COALESCE("Epic Name", "Epic Link")
0 votes
BenJoaquin Gouverneur October 17, 2017

Hey folks, for my needs I found a solution for this in the "Single Level Group By Report", a standard JIRA report. I defined a filter, picked it in the report and set the "Statistic" to be "Epic Link". It works well and I use an iFrame to display it in a Confluence page.

Single Level Group By Report documentation.

0 votes
Sven Wenzel October 7, 2015

Have anybody a solution for this problem? I have the same topic.

-EpicName1
-Issue1
-Issue2
-EpicName2
-issue1
-Issue2
-Issue3

0 votes
Dale Strickler August 26, 2015

Me too!  I have been hunting for ways to do this.  It seems very basic I can't believe it is not supported.

0 votes
John Gresh March 27, 2014

Us to.

0 votes
Deleted user February 2, 2014

We also would like to visualize the set of epics and their corresponding stories in a particular release. Any suggestions would be welcome

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2013

Within JQL itself it is not possible to sort in the fashion as you have written in your question.
Depending on the requirements for wanting such a sorting method, there might be different approaches to displaying the data in the way you are looking for.

Suggest an answer