Sort projects by last activity - how to?

Rumceisz June 3, 2013

Dear All,

we have a typical problem which involves all the admins of very big Jira instances.

We have more than 1600 projects in our instance and we use to find projects which are inactive for more than a year. The problem is that the users, project leads don't inform us when they finish working in a project or even don't start using a Jira project.

Is there a script or something which we could sort all the projects by the last update with? It would be very helpful for us!

Many thanks for your hints!

Best Regards,
Rumi

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013

Hi Rumceisz,

The SQL query below lists all the projects in order or the last issue update that occured.

Maybe this can be of some help?

SELECT DISTINCT i.PROJECT, MIN(i.UPDATED) as 'Last Updated', p.pname 
FROM jiraschema.jiraissue i
INNER JOIN jiraschema.project p
ON p.ID = i.PROJECT 
GROUP BY i.PROJECT, p.pname 
ORDER BY MIN(i.UPDATED) ASC, i.PROJECT, p.pname

Cheers

Bhushan

Rumceisz June 4, 2013

Hi Bhushan,

thank you very much! IT's a big help for us!

Rumi

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2013

Hi Rumceisz,

Please accept and vote up if you found the answer helpful :)

Cheers

Bhushan

Jonathan Salisbury October 29, 2018

I can't help thinking it should be max(i.UPDATED) for the last time an issue was updated?

MySQL: 

SELECT DISTINCT i.PROJECT, MAX(i.UPDATED) as 'Last Updated', p.pname
FROM jiraapp2.jiraissue i
INNER JOIN jiraapp2.project p
ON p.ID = i.PROJECT
GROUP BY i.PROJECT, p.pname
ORDER BY MAX(i.UPDATED) desc, i.PROJECT, p.pname

Like Joao Vasconcelos likes this
1 vote
Raymond Pettersen June 6, 2013

Hi.

We had some of the same challenges and developed a plugin you might want to take a closer look at:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.tauron.project-activity

Corey_Tabb February 13, 2019

thanks for wasting my time your link goes no where really appreciate you wasting my time thanks i look forward to more of my time being wasted by you 

Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Hi Corey

As the post is from 2013 it can happen that Links get outdated. It seems like the plugin Raymond was referring to moved vendor or it's name. No need to panic. :)

Check if this might help you https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210777/latest-activity-report-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Cheers
Niklas

Like # people like this
Corey_Tabb February 14, 2019

Suggest an answer