Sort cards on a Kanban Board

Diego Klubok April 27, 2020

Can I sort (not filter) cards on a Kanban board?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2020

Make sure the board filter ends in ORDER BY RANK

And the board configuration says "Using Rank"

Then you can drag issues up and down in the columns to sort them

Diego Klubok April 27, 2020

Thanks for your answer. Could you please tell me where and how to configure it? I have a custom date field and I need to add the JQL code in to the "Quick Filters" to be able to sort the cards by date. What should that code be?

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2020

That's probably easier to do outside an agile board, in the regular Issue Navigator where you search for issues. Then you can just do:
order by mycustomfield desc

2 votes
Walter Lamm April 22, 2021

That too is my problem. I can't find an option to sort my KanBan BOARD other than by rank. I can use filters to sort issues by due date but it seems I can't do that for the board. Is there a solution?

Ali Ramdani June 20, 2022

looking for the same answer or solution 

Like Inna S likes this
Walter Lamm June 21, 2022

Hey Ali. You're probably in a team-managed project. In these you unfortunately can't change the sorting method. It's always rank. I think Jira might be working on fixing this but I don't know for sure.

In a company-managed project on the other hand you can use a JQL filter. I would recommend you to use that type of project if you want to have advanced features to help your team. It's more complicated in the beginning but you can configure many more options to fit your needs.

Unfortunately I chose a team-managed project for my team in the beginning and after a few months I already regretted it. Now we're stuck with it because migrating to a company-managed project is a big hassle.

Like # people like this
Erin Ankeny November 9, 2022

It would be super great if there was a way to vote for this feature to be prioritized by Jira... not being able to sort boards in team managed projects is painful. I'd like to be able to sort by date, assignee, category... so many other ways besides rank.

Thanks for the info though... I'll just continue to suffer for now :) 

Like # people like this
Stefan Grob January 8, 2023

i am with erin. have we already a feature request for that?

Suggest an answer