Some question for a new JIRA I want to set up for a client

Blommetje July 21, 2013

One of my clients has made the smart move to start using JIRA. However, they do not want to use it as an Issue Tracker, but a Product Tracker.

Simply put. A new product appears, is entered into JIRA, and then flows through some steps like "Needs approval", "Needs Translation" and so on.

In general I think JIRA should work for this, but now I have some questions about a few things I'm not sure about. Perhaps you guys can help me out?

1) Is it possible to set 'Alerts'. If a product is not Translated before the set deadline, the owner/watchers need to get an e-mail about this. (Simply put, email for all passing deadlines)

2) Is it possible to set-up e-mailhandlers when you have a Hosted account @ Atlassian. And can you use another domain (www.example.com for instance) if wanted?

3) Is it possible to send a Report when an Product is 'Closed'? For instance, when I close the ticket I want to send an email to a few persons saying the Product is Ready. And combined with some JIRA-fields, like Starting Date, Deadline, etc.

4) Is it possible to check for double entered tickets? (Without a third party plugin)

If you guys have any other idea on this, please let me know! I'm very exited to get this started but I have so much to workout. Like making Groups, Fields and a new workflow.

Kind regards!

Maarten

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

Hi Blommetje,

1) If you define a workflow like:

Pending -> Needs Aproval -> Needs Translation -> Ready to Market -> Closed.

You can define a custom field called Translation Due Date, and make it required to create (or any other step). Jira supports subscribing to search filters, so you may define a search as "products in Needs Translation state, and Translation Due Date < now ", and subscribe to it to get a daily mail.

3) This is a pretty common use case. When a issue (product) enters into a state, send a mail to X role, XYZ users or YZ group.

4) depending of what do you mean by "double entered products". IMO, this task must be done by a human if you are detecting that a product is a duplicate of another by reading the description ...

HTH

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2013

Yup, most of this is easy

1) Well, um

1.1) People use "jelly escalation" to do this - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Jelly+Escalation

1.2) A really simple solution is to create a filter for (say) "unresolved and over 2 weeks old" and then subscribe people to it

1.3) There are plugins for other similar "service level" type stuff, but I'd see if the first two fit before looking at those

2) Yes, OnDemand hs the standard email handlers. But nothing more, you can't add more. I'm not sure about your "other domain" question though - what do you mean by that? (If you mean you want your OnDemand install to serve up www.example.com, then no, OnDemand can't do that yet)

3) Yes. Notification schemes do this. However, if you're using OnDemand, you can not customise the emails, so you can't add custom fields to the outgoing mail

4) I'm afraid not - I've not even seen a 3rd party plugin that handles possible duplicates yet either!

0 votes
Blommetje July 29, 2013

Thanks Guys. I bought JIRA and am working on the setup. Rather difficult when you never did it before:)

Too bad that some features that would come in handy are not there yet (like deadline alert). For now e-mail will do.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer