Some projects have several boards. How do I choose the right board when creating an issue?

Jens_Krøyer July 16, 2015

I may have done this all wrong, but we have many customers and I have created each of them as a project. Their websites is handled in boards. Some customers have several websites, and therefore several boards.

When I just want to create f.ex. an issue for a specific board under a project, I would like to be able to select the correct board in the create issue windows. I have tried to find out how to add custom fields to that form, but don't know how.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2015

You don't choose a board.

Boards do not belong to projects, and they're not issue data, so you can't just "set a field"

Boards are a view on to issue data.  An issue will appear on the board if the board's filter includes it.  The way to get an issue to appear on a specific board is to read the filter that defines what the board shows, and make sure your new issue matches that filter.

Jens_Krøyer July 22, 2015

Hi Nic

Thanks for the quick answer. Does this mean that I can create 1 board for 25 projects?

We have many customers who from time to time needs updates, re-designs or even new sites. I have created a project for each of our customers, and my thought was to create any task for them under their own project.

BUT, then I need to get an overview of what we are working on, during the daily stand-up meeting. Here I then have created a sprint. But right now, I only have a sprint for 1 project.

What is the best way of doing sprints across many projects?

What is the best process for handling many customers/projects with all their change requests, bugs, new features etc during daily meetings?

Cheers,

Jens

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2015

Yes, a board can be created to cover as many project as you want. I would strongly recommend keeping it as simple as possible. Create a Scrum board for each team who need to plan sprints. Until you are 100% comfortable with seeing sprints from other teams leak into your boards, make sure you do not include any project in more than one Scrum board. Then, use Kanban boards to show current status of whatever you are interested in - the Kanban boards won't upset your sprints, even if they use a completely different set of projects, you just need to avoid clicking "release" on them (unless you genuinely want to create a new version and stick a batch of issues into it)

Suggest an answer