Some email notifications contain link to issues that force open of all-tabs

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2013

I got a report form several users which are complaining that the email notifications received from jira do contain links that do open the issues with the all tabs visible, instead of not specifying the tab (if the link is simple jira will display the last used tab, something that is usually what people do want).

It seems that at least one of these notifications happens when someone adds an attachments:

https://jira.domain.tlg/browse/KEY-1234?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

Shortly, all-tabpanel is something that is not desired and I see no reason for specifying a specific tab, at least in this case.

Note: please understand that here we are talking about big-issue ones with LOTS of activity in them.

2 answers

0 votes
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2013

Hey Sorin,

As per mentioned in your support request, you may change the issue tab panel URL in JIRA mail template to point to the comment tab as follows:
- The default mail template which will point to the all tab:

#disable_html_escaping()
#parse("templates/email/includes/issueplugins.vm")
     [ ${baseurl}/browse/${issue.getKey()}?page=${tabpanel-all} ]

- Modify the URL to point to the Comments tab:

#disable_html_escaping()
#parse("templates/email/includes/issueplugins.vm")
     [ ${baseurl}/browse/${issue.getKey()}?page=${tabpanel-comment} ]

The notifications mail template can be found in the $JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/text directory, and you will have to restart JIRA after making the changes.

Cheers!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2013

Yes, the links are trying to tell the users what has changed and take them directly to the change.

In the case of attachments for example, if I get an email saying "issue updated", I kind of want to know what the update was, and you can't actually tell without consulting the history.

If you don't like this behaviour (most of my experiences with it have been positive or neutral at worst), then you should be able to remove it from the email templates. I think it's just a case of replacing a call to the panel with just the raw issue key. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Customising+Email+Content

Suggest an answer