Some JIRA groups are not synchronized to Confluence

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2013

Hi,

I have setup a Confluence instance that uses JIRA for user management. JIRA in turn is authenticating via LDAP but the users are stored in JIRA.

This works well for users and the ones added to the confluence-users group in JIRA will have access to Confluence as well.

My problem now is that I have added another group in JIRA, confluence-readers, which contains all users that shall have read-only access to confluence.

This group is NOT synchronized properly! If I add a user only belongning to e.g. jira-users to this group it will not be synchronized, but if I add a user that belongs to confluence-users it will be synchronized.

Is there some magic with the confluence-users group that comes in play here? Or, is it just coincidents?

Anyone with some experience in this area? Any leads are appreciated!

Rgrds,

// Svante

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2013

The incremental synchronization between Confluence and JIRA failed due to that Confluence didn't pickup users added from LDAP (and their default groups) for some reason.

Since our user base is not that large (~400 users) I disabled incremental synchronization and lowered the schedule to 30 minutes. Now all users and their group membership are synchronized correctly.

The root cause is still there but should be resolved by a more elaborate solution with both Confluence and JIRA using LDAP. Or, possibly Crowd.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2013

In order to use Confluence, users must be a member of the confluence-users group or have Confluence 'can use' permission. Maybe the sync is looking at this as well!

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2013

Could be! But the documentation is clear on that you can choose to use either the confluence-user group which will automatically get 'can use' permission or set a arbitrary jira-group to this permission in Global Permissions.. For this to work all groups need to be synchronized properly.

I just tried a thing:

In my Confluence instance I had checked the "Enable Nested Groups" option in the User Directory description for our JIRA system. I am not using that actively so I un-checked the box and re-synched. All users were synchronized :-)

Hmmm, this is a clue! I will post a support issue with Atlassian now!

Thnx, Jobin for your input!

// Svante

Like Viktor Zorin likes this

Suggest an answer