Some Content Not Available in JIRA (CentOS/Apache Reverse Proxy)

Zebadiah Ramos November 16, 2017

Hello Atlassian Community!

We're currently having a few issues with our locally installed JIRA implementation.

1. Some content isn't visible within JIRA (Screenshot below)
  2. We're unable to make any changes within our projects, when he attempt to edit anything we get continuously spinning progress wheel (screenshot below).

A few things to note with our set up:

• JIRA sits behind an Apache reverse proxy (both are on the same box).
  • We're using CentOS as our OS.

Please let me know if more information is needed, and thank you for your time as always! 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2017

I would recommend starting with the guide How to bypass a Proxy and SSL to test network connectivity.  I suggest this because it is possible that your proxy could be blocking certain traffic or that Jira is not yet properly configured to use this proxy.   By circumventing this proxy it helps us to understand if the problem is caused by the proxy, or is completely unrelated to this.

If this problem is not repeatable when bypassing the proxy, then this is probably a good indication that there is a configuration problem here.   I would recommend reviewing the Proxying Atlassian server applications with Apache HTTP Server (mod_proxy_http) guide as this explains how Jira is expecting to be configured and how the apache proxy should be setup as well.

The most common step I see users omit is on Step A, part 3: Configure the Connector directive.   Typically if you forget to configure Jira's server.xml to contain the parameters:

proxyName="<subdomain>.<domain>.com"
 proxyPort="80"
 scheme="http"

Then the Jira application is not aware its traffic is being routed through the proxy and can frequently cause problems like this.

Try this and let me know the results.

Regards,
Andy

Zebadiah Ramos November 17, 2017

Hello Andrew!

It looks like it had something to do with the vhost.conf file. I ended up copying the syntax from the known working .conf file from Confluence, changing host specific information, and then restarting the JIRA service.

After modifying the vhost.conf file all JIRA content worked as intended.

0 votes
Zebadiah Ramos November 16, 2017

screen1.PNGscreen2.PNG

Suggest an answer