Solved - stop/start a task

Iulian Ignat September 21, 2017

Hello,

I manage a small team, where everyone has several tickets assigned, in different stages of workflows.

I would like to have an option to stop/start work on a task.

The reason:

- one developer has within the same period 4-6 tasks assigned and all of them are in different stages (open, in progress, analysis, so on).

- I would like to see, whenever I decide, the exact task the developer is actually working on - without having to call the developer to ask

So, my view would be - having an one click option to stop working on a task and start working on another and repeat the process whenever changing between tasks.

And for me to be able to see/filter only based on actual working tasks.

So, I am interested in having a living state of JIRA.

Any suggestion ?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2017

Hi Iulian

If you consider a simple workflow of To DoIn Progress and Done, then each time a developer stops working on one task to move to another, you'd really want them to move the current ticket from In Progress to To Do and move the next ticket to To Do. I think this would be horrible.

An alternative, which would give you a view into it, would be to use the "Impediment flag" available as standard in Jira. The developer could have multiple tickets In Progress, all of them flagged apart from the one that they're working on. You could then query the tickets assigned to that developer and check that flag.

The Impediment flag is just a toggle - right click on a ticket showing in the board and choose Add Flag, then right clicking again to choose Remove Flag.

This method is slightly better, but still not ideal. As a side issue, have you looked at the downside of mulit-tasking? Ideally people should be left to finish one task before moving on to the next :)

Correct for the last sentence.

Unfortunately, we have a 2hrs support service implemented and my colleagues are disturbed from their development work with these support issues several times/day.

These are usually 5-10 minutes/ticket support, but is disturbing.

I will look into the Impediment flag. Maybe it will solve my question.

Thanks a lot.

Definitely solved my question.

And I use the filter Flagged = Impediment

Thanks a lot !

Suggest an answer