Solved: JIRA-7.3.1 - Customfields not visible in Admin custom field list and field configurations

Keerthy Mamidi November 6, 2017

Hi,

In our company, we have licensed 7.3.1 in production. Some of the existing custom fields are not showing up in the admin customfields section and field configurations.

Although, we can see them in the DB and also reach the custom field if we query url based on customfield ID.

Kindly suggest on how we can correct this.

Reindexing or server restart did not help.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

Looks like there is some script , which is added in the some custom field causing this problem. That script would have been not closed properly like close tags are not added ..etc. 

You can check the script added in the last custom field id,which is showing in the screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

Indeed, it's not just broken javascript that does this, it's often just having the script there at all.

You should not inject javascript into field descriptions in Jira, it's unreliable, doesn't upgrade well, and often breaks things.

Keerthy Mamidi November 7, 2017

Thank you! This helped us resolve the problem. 

3 votes
Chris Hotz July 6, 2018

EDITED: Updated with additional information and clarification that impacts what link to look for, also reformatted a bit, hopefully for legibility.

Note, this can occur with custom formula fields, here is the issue and the solution:

We had the same issue, here is a description of the problem and how I resolved it.

1. 1) Recently a new Custom Formula Field was added. The formula was something like this:
    <!-- 

some code here 
    Note that the closing --> was also missing @@Formula:
  2. This caused fields a- c and t-z to be displayed with all other fields in the middle removed from view.
  3. The last field displayed before the gap in the field is the field that has the issue.  So for me it looked like this (example of course)
    Field 1
    Field 2
    Field 3,
    Field 8
    Field 9, etc.
  4. The challenge, for me in this scenario is that Field 3 and Field 8 were both formulas.  However, the edit link on Field 3 opened the edit page for Field 8 and not 3. ... 
    what to do??
  5. Steps to resolve, view source on the custom field list page.  Find the html for the field prior to Field 3.  For me this was Field 2.  Copy the partial url for the edit link.  It will look something like this...

NOTE: for Administration->Issues->Field Configurations use this:

"/secure/admin/EditFieldLayoutItem!default.jspa?atl_token=... stuff deleted...;id=10800&amp;position=68"  (note don't actually delete the stuff I deleted... that was for brevity)

NOTE: for Administration->Issues->Custom Fields  use this:
    EditCustomField!default.jspa?id=xxxxx (where xxxxx is your custom field id.

6. Append your domain + the url and edit the position, incrementing it by one.  The url should look something like this:

NOTE: for Administration->Issues->Field Configurations use this:

https://subdomain.somedomain.com/secure/admin/EditFieldLayoutItem!default.jspa?atl_token=... stuff deleted...;id=10800&amp;position=69

NOTE: for Administration->Issues->Custom Fields  use this:

https://subdomain.somedomain.com/secure/admin/EditCustomField!default.jspa?id=xxxxx (where xxxxx is your field id)

Note: the important thing in either case is to know either the position or the field id.  I imagine the field id is easier.
  7. Hit enter on your modified url, fix your formula, remove it, click update to post the data and Voila!  All of your custom fields will return.  

Rinse and repeat the above step for each of the incorrect formula fields. 

ps: posting this response on a couple of similar questions to assist future sojourners. 
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2018

Indeed, this is one of the very good reasons for staying away from formula fields, they make it easy to break Jira like this.

Suggest an answer