Slowness problem after upgrade of behaviours

Florent_SCARAVETTI March 9, 2016

Hello,

after JIRA upgrade from 5.0.7 to 6.4.12 with upgrade of behaviours plugin (from behaviour 0.5.0 to script runner 4.1.3.9), we have important slowness problem. When edit issue screen is displayed, server requests done by script runner plugin (by URLs http://<server_host>:8080/rest/com.onresolve.jira.plugin.Behaviours/1.0/behaviours/validators.json and http://<server_host>:8080/rest/com.onresolve.jira.plugin.Behaviours/1.0/behaviours/runvalidator.json) take several seconds (almost 30 seconds).

With previous version of behaviours plugin, server request took always less than 1 second.

Slowness only concerns behaviours functions.No slowness has been observed on other functions of script runner or JIRA functions.

1 answer

0 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2016

Hi Florent,

Could you please advise if you have tried restarting the server following the upgrade and if not please perform a restart to see if this resolves the issue.

Also you could you please perform the following actions for me so we can help you to diagnose the cause of this error.

1. Restart the JIRA Server
  2. Perform a full re index on the JIRA server.
  3. Run the JIRA Integrity Checker and provide a screenshot of the results that this outputs.
  4. Attach a copy of the atlassian-jira.log file from when you experience the behaviours running slowly.

Many Thanks

Kristian Walker

Florent_SCARAVETTI March 10, 2016

Hi Kristian,

I followed all the 4 steps, slowness is still present for behaviours.

I sent you  and .

Many thanks for your help.

Florent Scaravetti

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2016

Hi Florent,

Could you please try fixing the errors flagged up by the Integrity Checker.

Also i notice in the log that your are getting lots of user admin(admin) must be in role errors which is causing behaviours to execute lots of permission checks. Can you please review the log and ensure the user is added to each role mentioned to see if that resolves the slowness issues.

Thanks

Kristian

Florent_SCARAVETTI March 10, 2016

Hi Kristian,

Errors returned by integrity checker have been fixed (there is no change relative to slowness). You can fing  of an edit operation before JIRA upgrade (only 1 second) and  of an edit operation after JIRA upgrade (30 seconds). User and issue are the same in the two cases.

I tried to add a user to all project roles (not a functional case), it's a little faster (4 seconds). Log file is .

Thanks,

Florent

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2016

Hi Florent,

Can you please confirm if the User is now added to all project roles?

Also can you confirm that if this is the case that the behaviours are now taking 4 seconds to run?

I am seeing from your last log file lots of errors saying user test_mcc(test_mcc) must be in role XXX.

Can you please try adding all users to all project roles to see if this fixes the issue.

It looks to me as this issue has been caused by your upgrade from JIRA 5.0.7 to 6.4.12 which has broken users project roles and is what is causing lots of permission checks to be made and is filling up the logs.

Thanks

Kristian

Florent_SCARAVETTI March 11, 2016

Hi Kristian,

yes, "test_mcc" user was added to all exisiting project roles and it took 4 seconds (see last log file).

Results are the same if all users are added to all project roles.

Upgrade procedure given by Atlassian have been followed for JIRA upgrade. I don't think user project roles are broken. Same checks seem to be done by Behaviours which JIRA 5.0.7

Thanks,

Florent

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2016

Hi Florent,

Unfortunately the last log file is full of user misisng from project role errors which looks like it causing behaviours to fail on permission checks.

Can you please and check and confirm that all of these projects roles exist and if not create them as we are not seeing any further errors in the logs due to these permission check errors.

Also could you please to check to ensure that you do not still have the old plugin for Behaviours 0.5.0 installed in your instance as well as to try uninstalling the script runner 4.1.3.9 plugin and then reinstalling the plugin after restarting the server.

Thanks

Kristian

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2016

Have you enabled nest groups in your Crowd configuration? Did anything change in the upgrade in terms of LDAP or groups?

Hi Kristian,

As you can see , test_mcc users belongs to all project roles and all roles exist.

I don't think that debug messages tell that user are missing from project roles. I think that debug messages tell what check are done (according to the defined rules).

Old plugins (including behaviours) have been removed and cache removed before JIRA upgrade.

Thanks,

Florent

Hi Jamie,

no, there is no change in terms of LDAP or groups. LDAP is not active. All active users are internal.

Thanks

Florent

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2016

Most of your behaviours seem to be around role and group access? That seems to be taking a lot longer than before... nothing within behaviours itself has changed that would have caused this, afaik.

Florent_SCARAVETTI March 14, 2016

Behaviours haven't changed since migration and are mostly around project roles and workflow steps. We have lot of custom fields and lot of behaviours rules. JIRA 6.4 is a little slower than 5.0 and I think that it has an important impact on Behaviours because of lack of optimization (same checks done a large number of times as shown in log file)

Suggest an answer