Slow SOAP POST service

Juris Flugins February 15, 2015

We have problem, that SAOP service ir slow. Connected system gets response in more than one minute. It is atfter that we changed from JIRA 4.0.2 to 6.2.3. I know, that SOAP is deprecated in this version, but ...

For some two weeks we got in running fast after we switched off Hipchat plugin. But is seems, that it was not a reason, because after restart problem cam back.

Then, serching through log files, i found record

10.20.21.116 529x3346856x3 kvi_tcuy [13/Feb/2015:08:49:34 +0200] "POST /rpc/soap/jirasoapservice-v2 HTTP/1.1" 200 93145 676 "-" "Java1.6.0_45" "-"

There ir JAVA version mentioned, but we are using 1.7.0_71 (this is shown also in System info) .

1.6.0_45 was java version, which we used in JIRA 4.0.2.

From where this JAVA version is coming in that POST function?

Maybe that is a probleme, and we should make some configuration changes somewere elese, not only in main configuration files.

Thank You!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2015

It looks like that reference to Java is coming from the external program, not JIRA.

Juris Flugins February 15, 2015

I talked with our SAOP guy already before. He told, that he is not givin nothing about JAVA version, and theres no need to pass that version, becauses we are not exchanging JAVA code between systems. So we concluded, that it could come form JIRA RPC , when JIRA already worked on that data and is POSTing them in to database or something like that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2015

I'm afraid not, unless you've changed your logging setup, that string is a record of incoming data, it's not generated inside the SOAP process in JIRA.

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2015

As is frequently the case, Nic is exactly right, here. In the default logging configuration, that field is the "user agent" string that is reported by the HTTP *client* -- specifically, the SOAP client you are using. Your SOAP guy doesn't have to give it explicitly for this to happen. The JDK itself will initialize the User-Agent string if you don't set it with -Dhttp.agent first, although with the hotspot JDK it usually has a slightly different format than this. In any case, no, that is not coming from JIRA.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2015

Oh, I've learned something new - I knew it was a string coming from the client side, but not that a JDK would set it like that (let alone how to override it). Thanks Chris!

Juris Flugins February 16, 2015

So, now ir is clear, that it is comming from SOAP system, but whats the usage of that parameter in JIRA?

1. Do we need to remove that parameter - is it better?
  2. Does JIRA use that parameter - search for that version of JAVA, and use it when working on recieved/POSTed data?
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2015

No, it's not used by JIRA

Juris Flugins February 16, 2015

OK, thank You!

Suggest an answer