Slow Jira Startup

Vickey Lepcha July 13, 2017

It's been two days now - I have been facing a sudden slowness in my jira startup. And this has been happening all of a sudden with no reason or changes whatsoever.

Normally it takes 20-30minutes to restart completely. But since two days - it's been taking more than 2 hours. I see nothing in the logs. Sometimes it takes a lot of time during the DB check - and elsewhere too as I see it on the INFO LOGS.

And this has been happening with two of my jira applications. As this happened to both of my jira instance - i concluded that Database could be an issue here as both point to the same database , but different schema and tables altogether.

I asked my Database Team to even restart the database and also gather stats - but  it caused no change in the behaviour. And today - all of a sudden I see that startup behaviour has normalized. I do not understand whats happening.

1 answer

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2017

Hi,

Can you post some of the log messages during the problem?.

Working with jira i find several reasons:

1. OS configured to compress files at jira directories
  2. Anti virus software scanning jira directories
  3. Bad IO performance due to virtualization

Here's a useful list of causes:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshooting-performance-problems-336169888.html

You can benchmark you IO peformance at different times with this tool too:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/testing-disk-access-speed-for-a-java-application-818577561.html

Vickey Lepcha July 14, 2017

Interestingly, it was our Oracle 12c database that caused the whole issue. Seems like there were some audit processes running in the background that caused the slowdown. We've stopped them and it has shown a considerable impact - I could in fact say back to normal.

The logs didn't have anything that could raise eyebrows. Except for the time it was taking to populate - nothing seems to show up during that time in the logs.

Suggest an answer