Skipping minor versions when upgrading to latest minor of current version A.B.C->A.B.Z

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2014

For JIRA and Confluence:

Can I skip minor versions when upgrading to the latest minor version of the installed version?

I.e. upgrade from A.B.C -> A.B.Z directly and skipping A.B.D,..,A.B.Y

Of course I read the release notes and upgrade notes of each minor version.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2014

You can skip mid-level and high versions as well.

One Jira I used to look after took the path 2.7 -> 3.0.3 -> 3.4.1 -> 3.6 -> 3.8 -> 3.13 -> 4.0 -> 4.3 -> 6.1

Note the complete lack of v5 - slightly iffy decision if you're on anything below 4.4, but it passed all the testing and worked fine.

But yes, read the release notes for the major/minor versions. I'd skim the notes for the point releases, but they're mostly minor bug-fixes and don't usually require you to actually do anything during an upgrade, especially if you're going to move to another version again.

What I would advise is posting your current and target versions here - you'll probably get lots of specific focussed advice then!

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2014

I need to upgrade JIRA from 5.2.8 to 5.2.11 and Confluence from 4.1.4 to 4.1.9

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2014

Those really won't be an issue.

Skim the release notes for the point releases, but I very much you'll find anything to worry about at all.

Suggest an answer