Skipping minor versions when upgrading to latest minor of current version A.B.C->A.B.Z

For JIRA and Confluence:

Can I skip minor versions when upgrading to the latest minor version of the installed version?

I.e. upgrade from A.B.C -> A.B.Z directly and skipping A.B.D,..,A.B.Y

Of course I read the release notes and upgrade notes of each minor version.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

You can skip mid-level and high versions as well.

One Jira I used to look after took the path 2.7 -> 3.0.3 -> 3.4.1 -> 3.6 -> 3.8 -> 3.13 -> 4.0 -> 4.3 -> 6.1

Note the complete lack of v5 - slightly iffy decision if you're on anything below 4.4, but it passed all the testing and worked fine.

But yes, read the release notes for the major/minor versions. I'd skim the notes for the point releases, but they're mostly minor bug-fixes and don't usually require you to actually do anything during an upgrade, especially if you're going to move to another version again.

What I would advise is posting your current and target versions here - you'll probably get lots of specific focussed advice then!

I need to upgrade JIRA from 5.2.8 to 5.2.11 and Confluence from 4.1.4 to 4.1.9

Those really won't be an issue.

Skim the release notes for the point releases, but I very much you'll find anything to worry about at all.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

124 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you