Sizing for Atlassian toolset

Mosh April 17, 2015

Hello

Can you tell me the recommended amount of RAM I need to install all the following on one server?

JIRA, JIRA Agile, JIRA service desk, HipChat, Confluence, Bamboo, Stash

I hope it makes sense (to put them all on one machine). If not please let me know about.

Please let me know the needed RAM for Windows Server (2008 or 2012) and for Linux (RedHat or Centos). Haven't decided yet about the operating system.

Database: MySQL.

Thank you!

2 answers

3 votes
Mallmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2015

Hey Mosh,

Just to add my thoughts here: I see you're willing to install a lot of products on the same server, which would not be a good idea. Besides the fact that you might face performance issues, think about the maintenance if you need to restart the server for some reason: no application will be available.

Or if you set all applications to use the same JAVA and then you need to upgrade JAVA to a specific version that is not supported for all applications, for example.

I can think a lot of different scenarios which this environment set up would not be a good idea. In case you have only one physical server available, create a VM for each application might be a better approach then.

I hope that helps smile

Eduardo

3 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2015

Hi Mosh,

I'm a Confluence engineer however I can tell about that there's unfortunately no magic number that will be necessary to allocate for the memory. There are many variables such as plugins, usage, peak time, contents.

There are some recommendations, however it's not a fixed resource. 

For Confluence

For Jira

For other tools, the requirements are usually smaller than the Atlassian flagships applications.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2015

I'd like to add - use Linux. It works far better than Windows. I once got a performance increase of nearly 20% (tested on bulk operations and slow page loads) by swapping a JIRA installation from Windows 2008 to a CentOS install. The hardware was identical, and the servers in the same rack.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2015

(Caveat - if you have no Linux people to look after your servers, then use Windows. Use Linux if you genuinely have a free choice)

Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
April 17, 2015

Nice addition Nic :) Linux is most advised indeed.

Suggest an answer