Single set of Status for all issue types

Daniel Baharestani February 19, 2014

JIRA offers a single set of statuses for all types of issues in a project, while it doesn't always work this way. For example, the statuses for a task are ToDo, InProgress, and Done. While for a UserStory in the same project the statuses can be Designing, Developping, Testing, Releasing, and Done. It can even be different for a bug or an Epic.

How do you handle this issue?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

1- Go to Jira Administration -> Workflow Schemes

2- Edit the Wokflow Scheme that is assigned to your project

3- Click the "Add Workflow" to add a new workflow for the issue types for which you need a different workflow and assign those issue types.

PS: You can either create your own Workflows or you can download predefined workflows that suite your need.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2014

There doesn't seem to be an "issue" here.

The status that an issue can take is determined by the workflow that the issue type is set up to use. That list is set up by you and your administrators (there is an alternative - if you are using "simplified workflows", then the available status is determined by your board, but it's still the same idea - you've got a list of status, that's the list you use)

What I'm saying is that I don't understand what you are asking. The status you use are up to you. It sounds like you've set up different workflows for different issue types - there's nothing wrong with that, and you haven't really explained why you are finding it to be a problem. Could you explain why it's not working for you? Someone must have thought it would work, so it might be worth asking them. Or, simply changing it, if your users agree.

0 votes

What I didn't know was that JIRA has a feature called "Workflow Schemes" which allows you to assign certain issue types to separate Wrkflows.

My problem was that I needed to change the status of a task to ToDO, InProgress or Done, and at the same time change the status of a user story to InDevelopment, ReadyForQA, etc. Which is different workflow from the "Agile Simplified".

Suggest an answer