Single selection AutoComplete field against large number of entries (10000+)

Jason Orlando [Dow Jones] March 17, 2014

We need to drive a bunch of metadata in our JIRA tickets from a searchable autocomplete field which has more than 10,000 entries. We'd like to use this design pattern in multiple ways (searching users, applications, or IT Projects), so a simple user picker is not sufficient unfortunately. When the user selects a value in the autocomplete field, multiple other values on the form will be populated based on the data.

To date, we've been using this with Kepler Database fields plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.databasecfand we like the behavior in that it basically does the things we need, but the solution falls down for large select lists because all the values for the autocomplete are pulled fresh from the source database into the user's session each time the field is made editable. In our case this is causing 25megs of data to go across the wire each time they want to create or edit the form, which is unacceptable. We need an AJAX based solution, or at least one which does not transmit all the values to the client and rely on client side javascript to do the autocomplete.

How are people handling this? i doubt i'm the only one looking for a solution here. Looking for something quick and easy to deploy and this is fairly urgent. I'm currently looking at nFeed, we're hopeful this will solve our issue as it seems to allow caching in one place which will reduce the footprint of this substantially. It seems to perform well on our initial tests.

1 answer

0 votes
DiepV March 24, 2014

Hi,

I invite you to contact us and create a ticket for nFeed here: https://jira.valiantys.com

Our support team can help you and guide you for nFeed.

Thanks a lot and have a beautiful day!

Diep

Jason Orlando [Dow Jones] March 24, 2014

I'm very interested in nFeed, but we've been working with your support already and we're having trouble driving form behavior based on changes to nfeed fields.

For example, if you have an autocomplete for a user where you can search their account number, and when the field gets selected, we'd like to change the reporter field (Prior to saving).

Typical actions would be:

• showing/hiding fields
  • updating the contents of other fields
  • making certain fields manditory

We've yet to find any design pattern which allows us to do something like this using nFeed, as it appears it does not play well with the other tools we use to drive form behavior (behaviors, or jjupin). We tried to use JQuery to do this and found that we couldnt hook into any client side events (like onchange) because upon selection of an nfeed field, the contents of the other fields are blown away and the html is re-written.

DiepV March 24, 2014

Can you please give me your ticket number and contact me at plugin@valiantys.com?

I'll have a look and we'll answer to those points above directly there, it would be much easier for follow up as well.

Thanks for your understanding,

Diep

Suggest an answer