Single case create e-mail to non-Jira and Jira users

Tim Spiglanin July 25, 2013

I'm trying to use Jira or JEMH to send one case creation e-mail to the assignee but cc the (non-jira) submitter and a static mail alias (also maintained outside of jira).

I know how to send to the assignee and static mail alias through Jira notifications, and send to the submitter through JEMH, but don't know how to get this to be a single e-mail.

Are there any tutorials that go over how to set this up? Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2013

You might try installing Script Runner and using their built-in "send custom email" script.

Tim Spiglanin July 26, 2013

Let me give that a try.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2013

Hi Tim,

Currently, as with JIRA notifications, JEMH Non-JIRA notifications are fired on a per-recipient basis. I have an open improvement to a tickbox that would allow all 'non-JIRA' recipients to be BCC: on the same message, and potentially all 'JIRA' recipients on another. This doesnt appear too much a problem for anyone right now.

Why are notifications per-recipient? JIRA users have email delivery preferences, JEMH tried to respect these. I have another feature request asking to combine both text and HTML within one message, the complication is that there is scope for non-JIRA recipients to receive customized content, whereas JIRA users would want 'all' the details. This makes combining between JIRA / non-JIRA difficult.

Whilst this is true of all notifications managed through the JEMH Event Listener, during creation only, it is possible to take any initial email, regardless of sender, and respond to ALL recipients within one email. This can be done by using the older way of notifying users through the Profile > Notifications > Notify Users on Issue creation. Note that this is in addition to notifications driven through the Event Listener, so ISSUE_CREATED events need to be ignored.

Finally, undermining all the above, why do this? A consequence of single emails is that it drives users to respond to JIRA notifications, rather than each other...

There are plenty of How Do I... tutorials, the best one to setup from scratch, will full EventListener configuration is:

- https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Configure+JEMH+for+a+Helpdesk+environment+from+scratch

If you need specific advice, feel free to also use the dedicated forums and issue tracker for the more complex cases.

Suggest an answer