Single Sign On for Atlassian Tools

gil May 6, 2013

I know we can do SSO with Crowd for Atlassian tools. How about SSO for Windows? In other words, once I logged onto my desktop and launch the tools, I don't have to log in anymore. How do I achieve it? Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2013

As for our experience, we've (AppFusions) done this over 60 times for clients - honestly, I stopped counting at that number last year. I guess I can check in our books - but anyways, with that alone, we got it down ! Kerberos SSO - not NTLM.

Is it plug and play? It's not plug and play. It's packaged for quickest deployment process that we have been able to get to so far.

What's the process?

• YOU: submit answers to this questionaire at info@appfusions.com
  • US: we will quote you, formally.

• US/YOU: We deploy templated config files to you for install on your staging environment, then we tweak the configs specifically to your set up and requirements. These latter parts are vetted together over a collaborative back and forth week or so - until full validation.

• YOU: Repeat on your production system.

We started doing these deployments in Oct 2011, so nowadays, customers are coming back for annual updates - good sign, I figure. Anyways, we don't get really any complaints. Once installed, just works.

Why is it not DIY (do it yourself)?

• We put it out there for 4 months before Oct 2011. EVERY SINGLE ONE was a fail!! And endless stream of free support requests in a very complicated network area with high risk if not done right. And when we suggested pay for our expertise, people got cranky on us.
  • Until we started charging (fixed price), customers did not appreciate the expertise that they were getting - only happy customers since then though, since we also train them during the deployment too.

Email info@appfusions.com if want more info.

Ellen

p.s.

WRT the questionaire:

95% of "applied for" cases pass prelim validation, regardless of complexities shared - but there are some caveats/gotchas depending on support needs for platform, browser, proxy configs, and forest definition, other systems, etc. which is mandatory to know up front.

Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2013

What does it mean by the 'Service Account Name' in the questionnaire page?

Patrick Li
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2013

Service Account Name is an account in AD that Atlassian tools will be using to handle SSO.

If you do not have it set up, we can help you to guide you through the set up process from start to finish.

Patrick Li
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2013

That is correct. The SPN is a requirement for Kerberos.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2013

Which means the implementation needs a user account in AD too.

Thanks for the feedback.

3 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2013

It's definitely not a walk in the park. If you have trouble sorting this yourself, AppFusions offer it as a packaged service with custom built authenticators. - https://www.appfusions.com/display/KBRSCJ/Home

That at least gives you an option if urgent.

1 vote
Patrick Li
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2013

Hi Sameera,

Our SSO solution is based on Kerberos https://www.appfusions.com/display/KBRSCJ/Home

We have over 60 successfuly implementations, with Windows, Active Directory, etc...

Let us know if you are interested info@appfusions.com, we'd be glad to help you out.

Patrick

1 vote
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2013

TechTime Initiative Group, an Atlassian Expert in New Zealand has been providing NTLMv2 authenticator for Confluence and Jira, based on Jespa from IOPlex for over 3 years at a quite reasonable price of NZ$150 (plus Jespa's license fee payable to IOPlex).

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2013

Do they have a Kerberos authenticator?

Suggest an answer