Side panel vanishes in Chrome - any solution?

Daniel Temple January 16, 2018

The new Jira UI is heavily reliant on the menu items in the side panel. However in Chrome, when I click from there to e.g. a list of issues (like a filter) the list of issues is shown in full width - and there seems to be no way to get the side panel back - or navigate away from the list to e.g create a new issue.

This can't be right surely?

Seems OK in Firefox.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2018

Hi Daniel,

Is the sidebar collapsing, or does it load blank?

There appears to be an issue where it loads blank for some users.

You can test this by using Incognito Mode or clearing your Chrome cache and see if you can view it that way.

If this isn't the issue, can you show me a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Regards,

Shannon

Daniel Temple January 18, 2018

Thanks for getting back.

The sidebar is just "not there" (collapsed I guess), once I've followed a link to e.g. a filter. Initial load of page works OK. Cache clear with Ctrl-F5 does not help. Only see the problem in Chrome. Here's a screenshot:

no_sidebar.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2018

Daniel,

I had a look at a few of the customer tickets internally linked to that bug, and they're seeing the same behavior, so you are affected by the bug.

Can you confirm if you open in Incognito Mode and disable all Chrome add-ons, does the problem still occur? 

Regards,

Shannon

Just being in Incognito mode seems to make it work OK. I don't have many add-ons though.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 18, 2018

Daniel,

I think the Incognito mode doesn't totally disable add-ons, so it might still be something in your cache.

Otherwise you can go into Chrome settings and disable all add-ons, and then re-enable them one at a time until your sidebar displays again.

If you do determine which add-on caused it, you can update the bug in case other users are having the same issue.

Regards,

Shannon

I think you misunderstood - it works OK for me in incognito mode.

Even though I have not done anything to disable any add-ons.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 18, 2018

Hi Daniel,

I understood; if it works properly in incognito mode, it's likely your cache causing the issue, not add-ons, since Incognito doesn't disable your add-ons fully.

I hope that's clear? 

However, if you want to test your add-ons to be sure, then you can disable them all at once, re-enabling one at a time until your problem returns. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

I'll just use Firefox until the bug is fixed...

Richard Jackson April 3, 2018

I have this same issue, just happened this morning.

Its OK with Firefox or Edge, but no side panels in Chrome

Has it been resolved?

Richard Jackson April 3, 2018

For me it was the Privacy Badger Chrome extension causing the problem

Suggest an answer