Showing story points AND hours in scrum board

Jeff Storey December 9, 2013

I have a scrum board, and I'm using story points as the burndown metric. At the beginning of each sprint, we break down issues into subtasks/hours. What I'd like to be able to do is sum up the number of hours for all of the issues in the sprint. I don't need a burndown chart for this, but I just want to make sure we haven't committed to way more hours than are in the sprint. Is this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2013

i think your answer is already there. We do the same -- story points for stories and hours for tasks. while you're planning a new sprint (and before you've clicked "Start Sprint"), you'll see something like the below. the "remaining" shows the number of hours in the sprint while the "estimate" shows the number of story points. if you don't see what i'm seeing, considering upgrading. it might have been added in a future release.

Tanner, thanks for the reply. I only see that though if I set the Time Tracking (under project Configuration > Estimation) to Remaining Hours. The problem with this is that it makes the burndown chart show up in hours as well. Do you have a burndown chart in points (I have my estimation statistic set to points)?

Like Prashant Sahu likes this
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2013

here's a quick run down of our process:

• stories are in story points.
  • the version report generates our expected complete date of our upcoming version based on velocity in story points.
  • tasks that fall under each story are in hours.
  • the burn down chart generates our burn in hours based on the summation of remaining hours across all tasks.

Thanks, that's similar to what we do as well. I was just trying to get a sprint burdown chart in points instead of hours, while still being able to show the number of hours that we've committed to. It looks like they may be linked.

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2013

instead of a burn down chart in points, consider using the new agile widget that comes with one of the new version of JIRA agile. it looks like so, and will show you how things are progressing as far as points go while still having a burn down chart in hours.

I'll check that out, thanks.

Joe Hardin September 19, 2015

This was very helpful since I had the same questions as Jeff. Thanks Tanner!

PerMirum Nordgren February 8, 2018

I see this thread hasn't been touched in a while, but I don't feel it's been really answered. I'd like to achieve in Jira what Rally/Agile Central does. Blue bars are hours left to do on tasks. Green bars are accepted stories/points. Any Jira wizards who want to take a crack at this?

BurnUpAndDown.JPG

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2019

Hi @PerMirum Nordgren!

I'm looking for a burndown chart like yours, were you able to get it to work? 

-Scott

Like Andy Allen likes this

Suggest an answer