Showing all Epic Names as Filter options on the Board (Kanban board)

Michiko Myint October 8, 2019

I have a Kanban board under the Classic Project and I want to have all Epic Names showing up as either drop down options under the Filters on the board.  So that I can click on each epic and only the stories, tasks and subtasks will show up on the kanban board under the epic that I've clicked on the filter. 

Right now, all epics, stories and issues are showing under the board. 
I want the Epic Name (circled in grey) to be able to be filtered by Epic so that all the issues under To Do, In Progress etc are showing from that particular epic name. 
I don't want the Epics showing within the Kanban Board mixed in with issues and stories. 

I want the Epics to be treated like a high level umbrella and only the stories, tasks and subtasks are the ones that shows up in the columns on the Kanban board.  Epics are the filters in a drop down menu at the very top amongst the filters. 

Is there a way to set it up?  

I originally tried to do that under Board Settings > Quick Filters but I can't seem to get the JQL query to show how I wanted the Epic Names to show up as selectable filters at the top.  Maybe it's my JQL query that I need to get right in order for the Epic Name filters to show how I wanted it to show. But I don't know how to write that query. I'm on Jira Cloud by the way. 

If anyone can help, would really appreciate it. 

thanks

Michiko 

Jira - Board settings - Quick Filters.JPG

Jira snapshot 2.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2019

Hi @Michiko Myint , your JQL is incorrect. When you use “epic name” you need to specify the actual epic name not “epic”. Now to do this as quick filters you would need to create a QF for each epic independently vs. a drop down. This might become unwieldy if you have a lot of epics. What about using Epic as swimlanes?

Michiko Myint October 8, 2019

Hi @Jack Brickey  thank you for your insight. I'm keen to create a QF for each epic independently.  Can you please show me how I might be able to create a QF? 

Also if I do decide to use Epics as swimlanes, how do I do that, I tried clicking "Show Swimlanes" at the board, but Epic does not show up in separate lanes.  How do I also do this?

thank you :-) 

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2019

Hi, @Michiko Myint

To create a Quick filter for every epic you need to go to board configuration and add one row for every epic with the JQL being 

"Epic link" = EPC-1 

where EPC-1 is the key of every epic you want to use to filter

For grouping the issues with swimlanes, go to board configuration and choose swimlanes in the left menu. You can choose there grouping by epic, by project, by assignee and a couple more options.

If you don't want the epics to be shown in your board, again in the board configuration, in the general menu you can change the query and add something like 

AND issuetype != epic

Like # people like this
Michiko Myint October 10, 2019

Hi @fran garcia gomera  thank you so much. Your suggestions worked.  Thanks again.  

3 votes
Thomas Retif January 2, 2020

Hello, thank you both for your inputs! However I still did not understand how to create a drop-down with all my different epics? Just like the filter by sprint that appears automatically?

Many thanks!

Suggest an answer