Showing Time Remaining and Quick Filters

Ari Brown December 17, 2012

When I'm using Jira/Greenhopper in the planning mode, I have a great breakdown of tasks and time remaining in any unstarted sprint. This is a very valuable view, but as soon as I hit start, it goes away. Similarly, if I use a quick filter on that screen, the totals are updated to reflect those changes, but after a sprint is started, the red/yellow/green numbers at the top of the sprint are not updated based on quick filters - where can I get this view?

9 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ari Brown January 6, 2013

I think it's pretty clear from the conversation here that this functionality doesn't exist, but it looks like a feature request has been made. Resolving.

1 vote
Ari Brown December 26, 2012

Hi John,

I understand what happens if I add story points, and that is valuable, but I'm talking about the even more valuable (to me) view that can only be seen in the Plan mode *on an unstarted sprint* - it's summing task-level estimates and uses a black and gray view to show both totals and sub-totals based on quick filters. It's great stuff... but then it goes away.

Renjith - I know that the mental model Greenhopper is using transitions from Plan to Work mode as soon as the sprint starts and I don't have a problem with this, but the functionality I'm looking at (seeing statistics per person in an easy to use, summarized view) doesn't appear to exist in there. Burndown of the sprint is by team - good stuff overall, but not helpful by individual (or even better, by quick filter!)

Any other thoughts?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2012

I would say, scrum and in turn GreenHopper is aimed at looking at a team level, for a statistics based on individuals, I would say that you setup a Dashboard with required gadgets that captures data aggregated at an individual level. Btw, what kind of statistics are you looking at an individual level?

And this red/yellow/green boxes on the top of the columns are based on issue count, not based on story points.

May be if you attach a screenshot it can explain it more, if you are talking about something else.

Ari Brown December 27, 2012

Alright - take a look above. This is from Planning Board, for an unstarted sprint. Let's see all the things we get here.

- We see the total count of things in the sprint, plus the total count AFTER any quick filters are applied (and I can use those awesome quick filters to wean things down based on functional area, person, or whatever I want)

- We see the total estimate of time for the items in the sprint, and we see the estimate for time AFTER the filters are applied. This is good stuff and it already exists!

As soon as I start the sprint or if I shift to the work board, I can't access this stuff. Why? Yes, you can say that you shouldn't really need to know this info by person, but the reality is there are a ton of use cases where you would like to know. Also, the filters don't have to be by person - it could be functional area or targetted release or anything, so I don't buy that line. Again, I can get this info other place, but not easily. It is clearly already implemented - it's just a question of exposing it or not.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

Agreed, it would be valueable. I created a story for GH here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7031

Please vote for it so that it gets required attention by our PM.

0 votes
Emmanuel Rouillard November 30, 2015

What is the corresponding feature request ?

0 votes
Emmanuel Rouillard November 30, 2015

This would be great !

0 votes
Sannette January 9, 2013

This would be brilliant.

0 votes
Ari Brown December 26, 2012

Yep - that's what I'm talking about. It is great, in the perfect rudimentary sense, as it exists now. If I could access it during the sprint (adding it to the work board would make the most sense once the sprint starts) would be awesome.

0 votes
Chris McFadden
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 26, 2012

I agree that it would be very helpful to have a rudimentary ability to do capacity planning per sprint. That is identify hours available per team member in the Sprint and then provide some kind of report or guidance to indicate if people on team are under or over committed. This would be necessary to persist from Plan to Work mode.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2012

As the Sprint starts the issues are now in the Work mode, not anymore in the Plan mode. At the same time, for running sprints, burn down charts gives the right view of the status of the items.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2012

Hi there,

Did you put the values in Story Points field when creating the issue? If you not able to see the field in issue create screen, kindly add the field in screen via Administration > Fields > Custom Field > Story Points > Default Screen. Hope it helps.

Regards,

John Chin

Ari Brown January 1, 2013

Seems like the solution is to not need things that Greenhopper doesn't provide. Oh well - I was hoping for a way to reveal the functionality I know is there, but knowing that it can't be done is at least going to save me some time looking. Consider it a feature request.

Suggest an answer