Show tickets without Epic and without sub-tasks that linked to any Epic

Shiri Feldman January 20, 2022

Hi, I would like to create a quick filter(JQL) in Kanban board that presents tickets without Epics. It should also exclude subtasks that have no direct link to Epic but are linked to stories that do have Epics. 

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Josh Costella
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2022

Hi Shiri,

First, I would always suggest adopting a policy of avoiding Sub-tasks on Epics. They need to be moved to regular tickets linked to the Epic via the Epic Link. It's confusing to users and leads to requests like this. :) Also, are you using the old issue view? If so, you should know that in the new issue view, which will be permanent, it will not be possible to create Sub-tasks for Epics any longer. So there is not really any point in delaying as it will be removed soon.

It should also exclude subtasks that have no direct link to Epic but are linked to stories that do have Epics. 

To clarify, you are asking for the quick filter to show:

• Tickets not linked to Epics
  • No sub-tasks that are part of an Epic but can be part of Stories linked to an Epic

I don't think this is achievable in the same quick filter and without a third party JQL plugin. 

Instead, as I suggested, convert the Epic sub-tasks to Tasks or Stories, link through the Epic Link and then institute the following quick filter JQL:

"Epic Link" is empty

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events