Show story status on Scrum board

Craig Rowland July 8, 2015

We have a Scrum board configured to make swim lanes for each story. Can we get JIRA to mark the status of each story on the board? We are trying to solve two problems. One, there is an assumption that, if all tasks are completed, the story is done. We'd rather not make that assumption, perhaps there was unexpected work that has not yet been documented. Two, when looking at the board, we'd rather not have to expand each story to see then guess at it's status. We'd rather see all stories collapsed then only open the ones which are in progress. So, can we get JIRA to show story status on the board?

8 answers

0 votes
Jacquie Polanco May 14, 2021

Hi,

Is this feature in the works? Can someone let me know? I think this is needed, as you don't want that many columns in a board but you can have multiple statuses for each progress.

0 votes
Cynthia DeRosa December 2, 2015

HI, I was just pinged the same question from one of our endusers. Did these feature reqeust ever get filed.

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2015

You can file a feature request at: https://jira.atlassian.com/ However as I said, this seems more like an edge case use case compared to what the majority of our customer base does, and as such I don't expect this to be changed.

0 votes
Craig Rowland July 10, 2015

For the record, Story #4 has status of "done." This is really basic functionality. How do we make a feature request to Atlassian?

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

To follow up on the above, I don't think there is any way to do what you are requesting.

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2015

Story 4 is in the To Do column, so it is not done. Story 2 and 1 are also in the To Do column, and therefore are not done. I think the problem is the concept of swim lanes for stories is a very odd choice of configuration. Swimlanes tend to be segmented based on any number of things like themes, assignees, epics, and so on. Stories should be getting moved across the board just like subtasks.

0 votes
Craig Rowland July 9, 2015

Please take a look at the scrum board in the capture. Is story #4 done?

What about story #2, I would like to know it's status without opening it up. In this view there is only one collapsed story. It's not unusual to have many. I don't want to have to open each one to see it's status.

Story #1 is a good example of why I want to leave stories collapsed. It hasn't been started. That is all I need to know. Those To Do tasks are taking up a lot of space.

I would like the status of each STORY to be displayed in this view. Can that be done?Capture.jpg

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2015

The columns should be aligned with statuses. But you can also add it to the card as outlined at: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Customising+Cards#CustomisingCards-fieldsAddingfieldstocards

Suggest an answer