Show estimated hours for stories on board view

Dan Bendelic July 10, 2017

I have a kanban board with stories, each of which has sub-tasks. The sub-tasks have estimated hours. When I go to the kanban board view I can see the estimated hours for each sub-task under a story, but not for the story itself.

This is despite having configured the card layout to show the original estimate. Is there a way for the story cards to show the combined total estimated hours of their sub-tasks?

jira board estimated hours.png

1 answer

0 votes
Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

Dan - have you read https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Core-questions/Why-doesn-t-story-have-an-estimated-time-that-s-the-sum-of-its/qaq-p/401739 ? Suggests that you have to use scripting to achieve what you want...

Dan Bendelic July 11, 2017

So the answer is no.

And scripting would be a very complicated workaround for what should be a no-brainer feature.

Atlassian get on this!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

I'm afraid Atlassian's thought on this is simple - "don't estimate subtasks"

Raphael TANT June 30, 2019

This is just incredible that after more than 10 years of asking this is still not possible easily, atlassian just do not care at all  ...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2019

Actually they do.  But they're still waiting for a useful definition of how to usefully estimate subtasks in a way that works for everyone, fits with all the Agile methodologies and doesn't break all the reporting.

Suggest an answer