Show CustomField only special users (editing even fewer)

Tobias February 12, 2018

I searched the Jira help for a long time and here the questions but found no answer. :(

I would like to create a new field that applies to all issues. But I want this field is only to a group of users visible in detail view. And the field should only be editable by a smaller group.

What do I have to do?

supplement: we have JiraCloud

3 answers

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

1. You remove the field from the edit screen.

2. You create a screen with the field

3. You create a transition with the screen

4. You set permission condition for the transition

Only users with the permissions, which you provide  for the transition, will be able to execute the transition and change the field on the screen.

Tobias February 12, 2018

Ok, but in this case I can "only" control the edit and not (almost more importantly) who can see the result in IssueView correctly?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

Yes, everyone will see it in the issue detailed view screen.

0 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2018

HI @Tobias there is no way to do this with out of the box jira. The only way I can think of on how to do this is to set editing permissions to the specific group you want to see the field screens. But that would limit who can update a ticket as well. 

Other than that you could probably use ScriptRunner for Jira and set a behaviour on that specific field. But it would also have to be at a point in an edit screen or transition screen. 

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2018

If you have cloud you'll have some problems with achieving this. 

Tobias February 12, 2018

I was afraid I'm pushing the boundaries with Cloud. :(

I don't know ScriptRunner yet, but it's also available for Cloud. Maybe that helps me?

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2018

Yes it is available in Cloud. But since you are using Cloud it is a lot different than Server. You don't have as much access as you do on a server instance. 

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2018
Tobias February 12, 2018

I didn't really understand that. How should I use JavaScript? Do I need a plugin like ScriptRunner? Is that even possible with Cloud?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2018

No, you can't do it on Cloud.  Also, even if you have some javascript or script-runner on Server, all it will do is hide a field from display, it will still appear in searches, and the html that goes to the browser of the user.

The only way to properly secure a field from users is to write an add-on (of a type that can't be installed in Cloud)

Suggest an answer