Shouldn't be allow to change sprint when moving issues across projects?

Pedro PerezGrande December 28, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Moving an issue

Shouldn't be allow to change sprint when moving issues across projects?

I am right now in the process to reconfigure/reorder a project into different projects, and indeed old_project didn't have really good sprint definitions.

As I move the issues from one old_project to any of the new_ones, why not select the new sprint also ? 

1 answer

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2016

Hi Pedro PerezGrande

Many people fall in to the same trap that you have in thinking that a project and an Agile board are implicitly the same. Whereas in reality an Agile board is a representation of a group of issues that can be any of the following

1. A single project and all issues within the project
  2. A single project but only certain issues (eg all issues of type bug)
  3. Many project and all issues from all projects
  4. Many projects and only certain issues (eg all issues of type bug)

The Agile board is based on a JQL filter and so whatever you can define as a JQL filter on your instance can be used as the basis for your Agile board.

So going back to your question I assume you have two boards set up using option 1 (single project all issues) and so when you move the issue between projects you want to also update the Sprint to match the appropriate board. As you can see options 3-4 (Which are all really variants of a board based on a more complex JQL filter) it would be possible for the issue to remain in the same sprint but be present in different projects.

As you are moving between projects and NOT boards it is necessary to allocate it to the correct sprint after moving.

Suggest an answer