Shouldn't Jira Portfolio calculate the capacity based on the remaining estimate?

Heiko Hütter February 24, 2017

We base our plans on original and remaining hour estimations. Portfolio does it's capacity-calculations based on the original estimate, not the remaining estimate. 

For us, this leads to the following problem:

A story doesn't get finished within a sprint and therefore moves on to the next sprint. the Original estimate was e.g. 10h. During the last sprint 6 hours of work were done, leaving 4 hours of remaining ours (the remaining Estimate value). Portfolio now calculates the full 10 hours of work in the following sprint despite the assignee only will need 4. This is at least not my expected behaviour. 

4 answers

0 votes
Deleted user May 8, 2019

Good afternoon,

Did anyone find a solution or get an answer concerning this problem? I am facing the same issue, the schedule or capacity calculation does not take into account the progress / logged work, it is static and based on the initial estimates.

Thanks for your answers.

Best regards,

0 votes
Edgar Navarro April 10, 2018

Same problem here!

Did anybody get a answer to this? This is making all my sprint planning very complicated.

0 votes
petula April 5, 2017

I thought this was misunderstanding on my end, but it is starting to look like a bug. My Epic is ongoing since March and supposed to end in 2 weeks. Portfolio keeps showing it as starting today and using not the remaining, but ALL the estimate, which basically makes the epic end in June.

This is really bad in my opinion as the idea as we signed with Portfolio was to get an Executive overview of the epics so we know if we are on track or not. Will someone from Jira answer this?

0 votes
Zvika Guy March 8, 2017

Got the same issue here, and I thought I might be missing something. The current Portfolio behavior makes it unreliable for sprint planning.
I'll e happy if someone could clarify this.   

Suggest an answer