It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Should we change all JIRA's database tables character set to utf8 and collation to utf8_bin?

As per https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILEKB/Optimising+Performance database collation must be properly set. Is the correct character set utf8 and collation utf8_bin? Thanks. We are using JIRA 6.3.4 and MySQL.

4 answers

The reason for the question is upon checking our JIRA 6.3.4's database tables, some has latin1_swedish_ci and utf8_unicode_ci for collations. Is this a bad thing? Thanks.

depends. IMHO you need to change it if you plan to support multiple langs.

In many cases converting is required.
I was using this comandline to convert existing database from utf8_general_ci to utf8_bin:

DB="your_database_name"; ( echo 'ALTER DATABASE `'"$DB"'` CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin;'; mysql "$DB" -e "SHOW TABLES" --batch --skip-column-names | xargs -I{} echo 'ALTER TABLE `'{}'` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin;' ) | mysql "$DB"

Open terminal, paste this in and hit enter. Wait little bit while job is done. TA-DAA!!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Calling all Jira Cloud users! Give us feedback on our exploration of a new navigation.

Hi everyone! My name’s Matt and I’m a product manager at Atlassian. I work in the navigation & findability space for all our Jira Cloud products. We’ve been working on trying to improve the exp...

1,258 views 20 13
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you