Should "user accounts" created by add-ons be charged a seat/agent on server licenses?

Valerie Boudreau November 22, 2016

We have a Cloud JIRA and a server JIRA. On our Cloud JIRA, user accounts created by add-ons do not count towards our license. For example, JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions is listed as a user on our Cloud JSD, but in the total count of Agents, it's not included and we are not billed for it. 

But on our JIRA server, each "add-on user account" in the user list is counted in the total Agents and we must buy them licenses.

We have to go up a tier on our server license because I added some add-ons last night. I had to remove some of them this morning when I found out. 

Now our choices are to not use any more add-ons, or pay a few thousand dollars. 

I don't have technical knowledge of Crowd. Is it possible the add-on user accounts on our server instance are not being recognized correctly? Or do add-ons really require user licenses? 

Thanks,

Val 

1 answer

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2016

All users, add-on or not, will currently be charged on Server instances. It is the choice of the add-on to decide whether or not they need a user in in a Server world.

In an Atlassian Cloud world, all add-on users are not counted towards the license because these add-on users are required.

You should raise an issue against JIRA in jira.atlassian.com to track this further.

Suggest an answer