Should attaching a file make you a watcher on an issue?

Anthony Mastrean June 25, 2014

I inherited an old, heavily customized JIRA instance and I'm not entirely sure what's going on at all times. I have some users that think they should be added as a watcher if they attach a file. Is this something that's supposed to happen by default? Does it sound like something a known customization can handle (I don't see any attachment workflows)? Or is there a plugin to handle this?

I'm also curious in knowing how/where to look this stuff up. If there's some admin page that I should have searched for, etc.

Thanks!

----

*I'm running JIRA 5.1.2

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2014

Anthony,

JIRA will automatically add an user as watcher if:

• The setting 'Autowatch' is true on the user's profile;
  • And if the user creates an issue or comments on one.

That being said, if the user adds a comment while attaching a file, he'll be added as a watcher; but if he only adds the attachment without adding a comment he'll not automatically watch the issue.

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2014

As of JIRA 5.2.2:

Administrators can now disable autowatch

We've implemented a new JIRA option that allows administrators to disable the autowatch feature (introduced in JIRA 5.0.3) for all users. To configure autowatch for all users, navigate to Administration > User Preferences (in Users section) > Default autowatch.

Users can choose to inherit the global autowatch setting or override it via their user Profile > Preferences > Autowatch setting.

Please note, if you are upgrading from an older version of JIRA, then all users who have not explicitly set their Autowatch setting will have it set to 'Inherit from global settings'.

Anthony Mastrean June 25, 2014

The last couple of times the user did not comment when attaching a file. I will double check that their autowatch setting is correct, though.

Suggest an answer