Should I use Project Roles or Groups?

Tyler Stephens January 12, 2022

Hi Everyone,

Just want to verify I am understanding this correctly.

Project Roles are project based

Groups are for the whole instance.

I have a situation where I am assigning users a Project Role that prevents them from transitioning issues from status to status. 

Would it be better to use Project Roles or Groups for this?

Thanks. 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

Hi Tyler,

If they need this permission by default in all projects attached to that permission scheme, then I would use groups. If the users/groups differ per project, then use project roles.

Please note that you can also add groups to a project role.Project Roles.jpeg

Thank you for the diagram, I appreciate your advice. Thank you!

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

You're welcome, thanks to accept the answer.

Like Victor Leite Vieira likes this
1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

Hi @Tyler Stephens 

Configuring Jira schemes to use project roles instead of groups is preferable mainly because you can delegate "adding users to role" to project administrators. Groups can only be managed by admins.

Ravi

Awesome, thank you for your feedback!

0 votes
Alan Stephenson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

Hi

your comment

I have a situation where I am assigning users a Project Role that prevents them from transitioning issues from status to status. 

Check  your permissions, insure transition issues is set to the proper role.

-alan

Suggest an answer