Should I create a cross project release if the board already pulls in both projects?

Mary M May 12, 2017

I have a customer project that is pulling tickets from the customer Jira project but also from a platform project.  There is already a board that pulls in both Jira projects.  Should I also create a Cross Project Release?  I seemed to have trouble when I did that.

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2017

Hi Mary,

Yes. A release (version) is project specific in JIRA. So even if you have a release with the same name and use it in 2 different JIRA Projects, they are technically 2 different things.

Portfolio actually helps you to see/manage them as 1. That's what the CPR is intended for. So if you want to add issues from 2 different projects to the same release in Portfolio, do create a CPR for that.

Mary M May 15, 2017

Hi Walter, 

Thanks for your answer.  I do understand what you are saying about the release in the 2 projects. 

My question is a bit different.  One of my teams has a scrum board that pulls from 2 different projects.  The releases are set up in both projects.  I also  have some scrum boards that are self-contained in one of the projects.  

Is this enough?  Or do I still have to create a CPR?  

The first scrum board pulls in items from both Jira projects.  The others are pulling from the same project. 

Suggest an answer